Samantha Stewart is a Lecturer in Publishing at Bath Spa University, a novelist and a freelance editorial consultant for some of the biggest publishing houses in the world, in which she’s worked for the last thirty years.
As a publishing manager, she's been involved in the publication of many bestselling and award-winning books, particularly in the fascinating world of children’s publishing.
She's interested in how to publish with integrity in a fast-changing world, and how to write accessibly and imaginatively for discerning audiences. Sam is passionate about sharing insight into all aspects of the creative industries.
She has taught at Bath Spa for eighteen months, and has published three novels for young people, two of which were shortlisted for the Queen of Teen Award.
Bath Spa employment
Sam has worked at Bath Spa University since 2022. Sam teaches on the following courses:
- BA English Literature, Industrial Psychology, Industrial Sociology (Rhodes University, South Africa)
- BA (Hons) English Literature (University of South Africa)
- CMI Management and Leadership Certificate (Chartered Management Institute, London)
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading
- National Association of Writers in Education
- Society of Authors
Other external roles
- Freelance editorial consultant to Hachette, HarperCollins, Macmillan, Penguin Random House, Bloomsbury and more.
Areas of expertise
- Children’s fiction and non-fiction
- Adult contemporary fiction
- Publishing and editorial processes such as commissioning, editing, copy-editing and proofreading
Sam is interested in supporting students working in the areas of writing and the environment, literary fiction and commercial fiction for adults and children from both publishing and creative-writing perspectives.
Invited talks and guest lectures
- Edinburgh International Book Festival
- Bath Literature Festival
- Wigtown Book Festival
- Portsmouth Book Festival