Skip to main content
Accommodation FAQs – Bath Spa University

Wondering how to apply for accommodation, or where to buy essential items for your room? We answer your common questions below.

Applying for accommodation

If you can't find your answer via the section below, please drop us a line at and we'll be happy to help.

Can I view the halls of residence before I move in?

There are a number of open days and applicant visit days throughout the year, which will give you the opportunity to view the different types of accommodation that Bath Spa University offers. You can see a mixture of images and videos of our halls on each of our accommodation pages as well. 

You can also find 360° images of our rooms by browsing the albums we have for each location. We add new images regularly, so please check back for more.

I am a postgraduate applicant, can I apply for accommodation?

The vast majority of our accommodation is prioritised for incoming first year undergraduate students, so postgraduate students are not able to apply for accommodation in our halls in the first instance. 

We offer fixed-term housing contracts which have historically been unsuitable for postgraduate courses, particularly as we cannot accommodate an early September start, which is common on postgraduate courses. The contract lengths we offer do not usually cover the length of your average postgraduate course either. Also, as our halls of residence are prioritised for first year undergraduates, we have found that the environment in our accommodation is not best suited for postgraduate students and their intense level of study. 

However, our team are still available to support postgraduate students in their search for accommodation. We can share a wealth of resources and information on how to begin searching for alternatives in and around the city of Bath. If you would be interested in this, please reach out to us and email

Which accommodation options can I apply for?

The campus where you'll be studying can sometimes determine which accommodation options you're eligible to apply for.

Students who'll be studying at Newton Park Campus are eligible to live at all of the accommodation options. For example, it is common for students who study at Newton Park to live in one of our city locations.

Students who'll be studying at Sion Hill Campus or Locksbrook Campus (this includes courses taught at City of Bath College, Dartmouth Avenue and The Circus) are eligible to select Charlton Court, Waterside Court, Twerton Mill and Bankside House as one of their preferred options.

Students who'll be studying a combined subject course that is taught at multiple campuses are typically eligible to select any of the accommodation options as a preference.

How do I fill out the application form?

Once our application system goes live, you'll need the following to access the online application form:

  • Your ten digit personal UCAS ID (which you can find on any UCAS correspondence) or; 
  • Your Bath Spa University student number
  • Your date of birth

Please check your personal details to ensure your information is correct.

You'll be asked to select three accommodation preferences. By choosing your accommodation preferences, you're registering interest in any of these accommodation choices. Please be reminded that you could ultimately receive an offer for any of our accommodation locations and room types – the application is not a guarantee you will get one of the three preferences you select, though we will try our best to provide you with one of the three options you chose.

What If I miss the application deadline?

Students who miss the deadline can contact the Accommodation team to discuss if we have available rooms remaining. Alternatively our team can support students in their search for accommodation in the private sector, and students can contact our team for help and guidance with this. Please email for assistance.

More information about deadlines, these can be found in the 'Timeline' section on our Applying for Accommodation page.

Do I need to pay a deposit or prepayment reservation fee?

If you're living in Bath Spa University managed halls, you are required to pay a £250 prepayment of your licence fee to secure your room allocation and confirm your offer. This prepayment is not a deposit and the amount will be taken off over the course of your instalments of the licence fee. Please be aware it is at the discretion of the University as to whether this prepayment would be refundable in the event that you do not move into your allocated room in September.

If you live in halls managed by external providers (Waterside Court, Charlton Court and Twerton Mill) you will also be required to make a prepayment to confirm your room allocation, and you'll receive full information on what you need to provide when you receive your offer.

Will I have to provide guarantor details?

Students who accept an offer of accommodation for a room with Waterside Court, Charlton Court or Twerton Mill will need to provide a guarantor reference.

A guarantor should be a responsible person who will be accountable for paying your rent and any damages should you be unable to make the payments. By signing the tenancy your guarantor will accept joint responsibility for the financial aspects of the tenancy agreement.

What happens if I move into halls of residence, and then later decide that I want to live somewhere else?

You are legally responsible for paying the total accommodation fees for the year and should refer to the terms and conditions of your contract. Under no circumstances should students enter into two different contracts for accommodation for the same year.

I have a disability. What do I need to do to get help with my accommodation?

If you disclosed a disability or medical need on your UCAS form, Student Wellbeing should have been in contact with you. If you did not disclose this on UCAS, please email for further information. You can also request further information about disability support at Bath Spa and the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

What are private halls of residence and what do you mean by external providers?

We offer rooms in our university-managed halls of residence but also rooms in private halls of residence, managed by external housing providers like Unite Students.

These are what's known as "nomination properties." This means that you apply to live in them via the University's application process but your tenancy agreement is with the external provider, or third-party provider as they are commonly known. You pay your rent directly to them, not the University.

The University remains involved in processes relating to your tenancy throughout your stay, and you still have access to the same services, like Student Wellbeing for example.

Some of the details around cancellations and your prepayment are slightly different to the standard University policies or processes, and this information will be included in your contract, so please read through it carefully. 

UCAS' definition of private halls of residence providers has lots of helpful information.

Accommodation basics

Is all accommodation mixed sex?

Generally accommodation is mixed sex, but we may be able to arrange single sex accommodation if there is demand. Please make it clear on your application form if you want to live in a single sex flat. We'll do our best to accommodate this but it can't be guaranteed.

Can I bring a car?

As all of our halls of residence are very limited for space, residents are unable to bring cars with them to university. However all of our halls of residence are within short walking distance of Bath's excellent public transport system, and the vast majority of our students make use of this.

Can I bring a pet?

You're not permitted to bring any animal, bird, fish or any other creature. This will be stated as a condition in all our accommodation contracts. Students with therapy animals may be an exception but this would need to be discussed and authorised by the Student Wellbeing team prior to joining the University.

Can I bring my musical instruments? Will they fit into my room?

Although you're very welcome to bring musical instruments, room sizes will vary, so please check before bringing any large instruments. Please also be mindful of our regulations on noise when playing instruments.

Can I stay in my accommodation over the Christmas and Easter holidays?

You can stay in your room or store your belongings throughout the entirety of your contract. 

Do I need a TV licence?

You'll need to buy your own TV licence, which can be purchased via their website.

Do I need to pay any utility bills?

Our hall accommodation costs include all utility bills such as heating, hot water and internet. A TV licence is not included. 

How do I pay for my accommodation?

For students in Bath Spa University-managed halls we offer payment by instalment and this can be arranged when registering online.

Instalments are offered to coincide with students receiving their 3 student maintenance loan payments, and are managed by way of a recurring card mandate (using a debit or credit card) and you can enter the details safely and securely when you receive your joining instructions.

We strongly recommend the 3 instalment payments as most students prefer to pay their accommodation fees from their maintenance loan funding. However, if after completing online registration you would like to pay your accommodation fees monthly, please contact the student fees team who can arrange this for you.

Please note, we are unable to make changes until registration is complete.

One-off debit or credit card payment can also be made online.

Please note:

  • There is no commission charge for payments by debit or credit card
  • Where payment by instalment is permitted, there is no additional charge
  • If your card number changes or is reissued, or your expiry date changes, please remember to update your debit or credit card details via the Apphub
  • Please note that online card payments are done at your own risk. Due to the nature of online security, we encourage you to protect your financial information wherever possible.

 Please see the University Finance page for more details regarding payment.

Are there laundry facilities?

There are laundry facilities on all sites; these are accessible 24 hours a day. Washing detergent is not provided.

The laundry on all sites is managed by a third party company called Circuit. You can download the Circuit app for free to manage any laundry payments. 

Can I smoke in my room?

Smoking is strictly prohibited inside all student accommodation, including your study room or any indoor communal areas; there are dedicated outdoor smoking areas by your halls or common areas.

The use of e-cigarettes and vaping is also not permitted inside any University building.

Where can I purchase items for my room?

For students arriving in September, Uni Kit Out can arrange for bedding/kitchens to arrive at the University before you move in. If you're about to move into Bath Spa University accommodation, you can find out more information on our Accommodation Support page.

What size is my bed?

Bed sizes vary between the different room types, so please check your room allocation to ensure you bring the correct duvet and sheet set with you.

As a guidance:

  • Lakeside - single beds
  • Gardens - 124cm x 194cm - this is between a double and small double bed and we recommend bringing double bedding (with a non-fitted sheet)
  • Bankside House - single beds
  • Waterside Court - single beds
  • Charlton Court - 3/4 size beds
  • Twerton Mill - small-double beds
What to bring


  • Bedding – sheet, pillowcase, duvet cover (x2), pillow(s) and duvet
  • Towels and bath mat
  • Alarm clock (if your mobile phone doesn’t have one)
  • Coat hangers
  • Personal belongings to make your room feel homey


  • Crockery – a couple of plates, bowls, mugs, cups, glasses
  • Cutlery and cooking utensils – e.g. wooden spoon, tin opener, bottle opener, cheese grater, chopping board, colander, baking trays etc.
  • Pots and pans for cooking
  • Tea towels
  • Airtight food containers


  • Cleaning materials – washing up liquid, cloths, cleaning products (non-bleach) for basin/en-suite, duster, polish, washing powder for clothes, etc.
  • Toilet rolls
  • Iron (an ironing board is provided in communal kitchens)
  • Basic food provisions to last until you do your first shop
  • Toiletries

Items that are not permitted in halls

The following list is not exclusive, so please check your license agreement and Residents' Handbook for more details.

  • Deep fat fryers/chip pans
  • Candles and incense sticks
  • Barbecues
  • Electric/paraffin heaters
  • Electrical items that are over a year old that have not been PAT tested. Initial PAT testing will be offered at the start of the academic year. Information will be provided at the start of term.
Can I have a fridge in my room?

Fridges are not allowed in study rooms unless there is a medical need. To apply to bring your own fridge on medical grounds, please contact Student Wellbeing Services who will liaise with us. Please note: we don't provide fridges.

Edit section | Website feedback to