Our vision is underpinned by a commitment to sustainability, economic and cultural well-being and environmental improvement.
We recognise that our activities have environmental and social impacts.
It is our aim to minimise our negative impacts and to have a positive impact wherever we can.
To achieve this we will:
- Continually develop and expand education for a sustainable future in the curriculum.
- Continually improve energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions through our Carbon Reduction Policy and Management Plan.
- Protect the environment by preventing pollution and by minimising the use of natural resources and the production of waste.
- Manage the University's estate to preserve the historic landscape and buildings and to encourage and maintain biodiversity.
- Promote the use of sustainable modes of transport.
- Continually improve sustainable purchasing practices.
- Promote sustainability awareness and practice amongst all staff and students.
- Endeavour to ensure that our investments provide a good return for the University, without compromising the objectives of this Policy.
- Continually improve our ISO14001 and ISO50001 Environmental/Energy Management Systems.
- Comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and agreements.
- Engage with other institutions and the wider community to share environmental best practice and to demonstrate environmental responsibility.
- Carry out our business practices in a way that is sensitive to our neighbours and interested parties.
Date of last approval: May 2020
Approved by: Vice-Chancellor, Professor Susan Rigby