Our vision is underpinned by a commitment to sustainability, economic and cultural well-being and environmental improvement.
We recognise that our activities have environmental and social impacts.
It is our aim to minimise our negative impacts and to have a positive impact wherever we can.
To achieve this we will:
- Continually develop and expand education for a sustainable future in the curriculum
- Improve energy efficiency and reduce carbon emissions through our Carbon Reduction Policy and Management Plan
- Protect the environment by preventing pollution and minimising the use of natural resources and the production of waste
- Manage the University's estate to preserve the historic landscape and buildings and to encourage and maintain biodiversity
- Promote the use of sustainable modes of transport
- Continually improve sustainable purchasing practices
- Promote sustainability awareness and practice amongst all staff and students
- Endeavour to ensure that our investments provide a good return for the University, without compromising the objectives of this Policy
- Continually improve our ISO14001 Environmental Management System
- Comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation, regulations and agreements
- Engage with other institutions and the wider community to share environmental best practice and to demonstrate environmental responsibility
Date of last approval: February 2019
Approved by: Vice-Chancellor, Professor Susan Rigby