Law is one of many courses at Bath Spa which received an above sector average positivity score of 90% or above for 'Teaching on my Course' in the National Student Survey 2023. The good news is that Law is currently available through Clearing!
Here are 10 things you need to know about Law at Bath Spa University.
1. Law is a relatively new degree at Bath Spa, but it's fast gaining an incredible reputation. Our students who graduated in July 2023 were the first graduate cohort for the course. The Law courses are a part of Bath Business School. The intake of students has quadrupled over the last three years. Approximately 100 students will start the LLB Law programme in 2023 and there are around 1,200 students across degree courses in the Business School.
2. We have a good reputation. Bath Spa Bath Spa is a teaching-led, research-informed university. We were delighted to receive positive scores of over 90% for Law in the 2023 National Student Survey for ‘Teaching on my Course’, ‘Assessment and Feedback’, ‘Learning Opportunities’, ‘Academic Support’ and ‘Learning Resources’. Bath Business School is currently ranked 23rd out of 118 in the Guardian League Table 2023 for Business, Management and Marketing and Bath Business School also continued to climb the rankings in the 2024 Complete University Guide.
3. Students will be supported. Our lecturers are friendly and supportive, and we recruit staff who are keen to support students to realise their aspirations. Many of our lecturers come from industry and are keen to share their experience with their students. There are an extensive range of services and support for students.
“The atmosphere and supportive nature of the course design helped me achieve my full potential, the modules were tailored to the new SQE route, the lessons were always engaging even on the more technical subjects, and I always felt supported by the lecturers throughout my degree. I would recommend anyone to study law at Bath Spa University” - Kirsty Soper, recent Bath Spa Law graduate, awarded the Bath Business School prize for ‘Community and Engagement’.
4. Students put the legal knowledge they gain on this course into practice while developing career-enhancing skills and help the local community. In their final year, our students have the opportunity to hone their practice skills in The Bath Law Clinic - which is a collaboration between Bath Spa University, Stone King LLP and the Citizens Advice Bureau - or they can undertake a law research project.
5. The Bath Spa LLB Law degree meets the requirements of the Bar Standards Board and prepares you for the Solicitors Qualifying Exam. It's designed to help you attain many of the skills required to complete the practice elements of the Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE). LLB (Hons) Law at Bath Spa develops your legal knowledge, research and professional skills. This innovative, qualifying Law degree is informed by the new regulatory framework for the training of solicitors and barristers and meets the requirements of the Bar Standards Board.
6. Student assessments are usually problem based, practical exercises or will have an employability skill attached such as drafting an email or contract, making a presentation or conducting an interview. There are a very limited number of formal examinations.
"Having a knowledge of legal concepts is invaluable within organisations and general life... Being able to practise debating, analyse and be concise in talking and writing is really useful. My favourite topic is employment law as I want to pursue a career in Human Resources.” - Maisy Ward, Business Degree graduate, (Law modules)
7. Our LLB Law degree develops practical and professional skills alongside knowledge of legal theory. Our Law degrees are designed to prepare students for a wide range of careers, both within and beyond the legal sector. Many of our graduates from the 2023 cohort are already working in legal practice as well as other sectors including business and politics.
8. Diverse subjects. As well as the compulsory modules where students will gain a broad understanding of legal systems and criminal law, students will expand their knowledge to topics such as international law, media and entertainment law, and cyber crime.
9. The LLB Law, Law and Politics and Criminology undergraduate degree programmes are delivered on our beautiful Newton Park campus. Our students are based in Commons, a purpose-built facility, where there are also pods throughout the building for students to use to collaborate on projects with their peers.
“It has brought my confidence out” - Stephanie Connor, recent Bath Spa Law graduate
10. Students on our undergraduate programmes have the option of a placement year and each of the different degrees has a practical element with a strong work-based focus. Our programmes are designed to draw out our students’ creativity and their enterprising ability. We also have a strong focus on sustainability to ensure our students are fully prepared when they enter the world of work as graduates. There are also study abroad options, where students can study a semester at a university abroad. Our Business School students have gone to places like Rotterdam Business School and University of Sydney in Australia.
Steve Goulton, Course Leader for Law said:
“Our graduate class of 2023 has seen the first law graduates of the LLB Law degree, the majority graduating with a 2.1 or 1st class honours degree. The class of 2023 came to us in a time of national crisis in the wake of the pandemic, so to see them graduate, do so well and to go on and secure jobs already is a testament to their work ethic and attitude as well as the law team’s time, patience and fantastic teaching which has been reflected in our phenomenal NSS results for Law.”
“The future is bright for all our law students, with our assessment strategy based around elements of practice and employability and Bath Law clinic and our Social Enterprise clinic enabling them to do ‘real’ legal work and to help their community. As the director of law courses, I am so proud of what we've achieved as a team in the last three years, and of our graduates and current students. The legal sector and the world are constantly changing. We want to be at the forefront of these changes and continue to evolve as the most technologically based, experiential, and diverse law degree with a focus on making sure our graduates leave us ready for the workplace.”
Find out about the other courses which received an above sector average positivity score of 90% or above for 'Teaching on my Course' that are also available through Clearing.
- Institution B20
- Law: LLB1 or LLB2 (with professional placement year)
- Criminology and Law: C21 or CL22 (with professional placement year)
- Law and Politics: LP21 or LP22 (with professional placement year)
Disclaimer: The Bath Spa blog is a platform for individual voices and views from the University's community. Any views or opinions represented in individual posts are personal, belonging solely to the author of that post, and do not represent the views of other Bath Spa staff, or Bath Spa University as an institution.
- Art and design
- Bath Spa
- Business and management
- Culture and society
- Education and teaching
- Science and environment
- Students and alumni
- Writing, Performance and Production
Our talented Bath Spa community has your book lovers’ Christmas shopping list sorted!
Ray Lewis shares how the vibrant spirit of Cambodia created an unforgettable journey and paved the way for exciting job prospects.
There's great care, hard work, history and a lot of interesting facts behind our trees.
Join us for a series of free events to celebrate Disability History Month 2023.
Learners on our Skills Bootcamp in Data Analytics recently attended a day of workshops and guest lectures from The Data Place.
Our Bath Spa community is providing a bumper crop of great reads this autumn.