The Outward Mobility Award
The Bath Spa Outward Mobility Award, launched in September 2017, has been established to assist students wishing to embark on international placements, research or study trips that are related to their undergraduate degree course. To be eligible for this award, students and their travel must meet the award criteria.
- Value: variable up to £3,500 per person
- Number of awards available: multiple
This is a targeted award. The Bath Spa Outward Mobility Award is funded through the University’s Access and Participation Plan with the Office for Fair Access, and is designed to help students with the costs of undertaking an international placement, research, or study trip abroad.
Through its measures set out in the Access and Participation Plan, the University is especially keen to encourage students to apply for this award who are from groups who are underrepresented in higher education and who might not have otherwise considered a period abroad because of the cost.
Please note, students in receipt of the Outward Mobility Award funding are required to do both of the below:
- Once you return – submit a 1,500 word reflective piece (guidance will be provided)
- Once you return – submit all receipts up to the amount of the award
We also strongly recommend that you sign up to either the Head Start Award, the Bath Spa Award, or the Leadership Award (student to self-identify which is the best fit for them). These Careers Team led schemes will help you communicate what you've experienced and use this to your advantage in a job situation.
To be eligible for this award you must meet the below criteria:
- Student currently enrolled on a Bath Spa University undergraduate course
- Students must make use of this funding prior to 31 May in their final year of undergraduate studies
- Full / part time student
- Home students whose country of domicile is within the UK
- Students who have been assessed by Student Finance as being from a household with an annual income of below £42,875
- Home (non-term time) postcode is in an area of low higher education progression – either a Quintile 1 or Quintile 2 area according to the POLAR/TUNDRA young participation classification. Check your postcode classification (follow the link and click ‘search by postcode’).
- Funds must be used to support a study, research, or work placement abroad of at least 21 days or more, which will have a direct impact on studies, research and/or career.
The allocation of funds will be given at each disbursement panel, but as awards under this scheme will be in limited supply, first priority will go to Stream one students, then to Stream two. Students are only able to receive one Outward Mobility Award during their undergraduate programme.
If you're at all uncertain if you fall under any of the below categories, please contact the Access and Participation Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students of any age on an undergraduate programme and whose annual household income is below £25,000 and whose postcode is either Quintile 1 or Quintile 2.
Students need to have applied for Student Finance for the academic year in which the mobility is to take place. When making your application to Student Finance, give consent for your household income details to be shared with Bath Spa University. Your household income figure will then be automatically sent to the University and used to assess your eligibility for the award.
Students on an undergraduate programme whose annual household income is below £42,875, whose postcode is either Quintile 1 or Quintile 2 and (at least one of the following):
- Are a commuter student
- From a NS socioeconomic classification 4-8 background
- Who are a mature student (over 21 on September 30th of their year of entry)
- From a BAME background
- Are a ‘Gypsy Traveller’ or ‘Traveller of an Irish Heritage’
- Have refugee status in the UK
- Are care leavers
- Are young adult carers
- Have disclosed a disability to Bath Spa University
- Are categorised by the Student Loan Company as estranged from their parents
- Who entered their undergraduate programme with vocational level 3 qualifications only (eg BTEC/Access to Higher Education Diploma)
Terms and conditions
Successful recipients will be subject to the following conditions:
- Awards must be used for the purposes stated in your application form.
- If, by reason of any emergency or other circumstance, the Award holder is unable to complete the project, he or she will be required to refund all or part of the Award as may be considered reasonable in all the circumstances.
- Recipients may be publicised on the University website and in the media; recipients will be expected to provide appropriate feedback (reports, blog posts, pictures and/or videos) to support this.
- Recipients must supply the Go Global Team with a reflective piece of writing on how the funding has supported their academic studies and will help their future career. This information will be used in literature to promote the value of, and provide feedback, to those who support the fund and the University.
- Recipients must provide the Go Global Team with receipts for the mobility to cover up to the value of the Award given. Any funding for which no receipt or proof of payment is produced will be repaid to the university.
- Recipients must sign up for a Careers session upon their return to the University; this session must link to how they can use this experience to help them in the future i.e. interview techniques, application writing, etc.
- Recipients may be interviewed by the press office and/or be invited to attend events with donors who support the fund, partners in the project, other successful recipients and the wider University community, allowing discussion about the projects that have been carried out.
- Recognition of the award should be made wherever possible. Wording such as 'Supported by Bath Spa University Outward Mobility Award' would suffice, but please contact us if you need assistance.
Funds must be used to support a study, research or work placement abroad of at least 21 days or more, which will have a direct impact on studies, research and/or career.
The proposed travel should not begin within eight weeks of the application deadline. Applications for retrospective funding will not be considered.
How to apply
Applications are made via the AppHub. Follow the link, then click 'Scholarship Applications'. Next, click 'Add Application' and select 'International Travel and Outward Mobility Awards'.
- 9.00am (BST), Monday 26 October 2020
- 9.00am (GMT), Monday 22 February 2021
- 9.00am (BST), Monday 26 April 2021
How applications are judged
Outward Mobility Award allocations will be decided by the Bath Spa University disbursement panel, which will consist of representatives from the Go Global Team, Careers Department and Access and Participation Office, an external donor to the University and academics from across the University. The panel will meet after each deadline to discuss applications received.
The panel will meet within four weeks of each application deadline and applicants should expect to hear an outcome within six weeks.