The Outward Mobility Award
The Bath Spa Outward Mobility Award, launched in September 2017, has been established to assist students wishing to embark on international placements, research or study trips that are related to their undergraduate degree course. To be eligible for this award, students’ travel must meet the award criteria.
- Value: variable up to £2,000 per person
- Number of awards available: multiple.
This is a targeted award. The Bath Spa Outward Mobility Award is funded through the University’s Access Agreement with the Office for Fair Access, and is designed to help students with the costs of undertaking an international placement, research or study trip abroad.
The University is especially keen to encourage students who might not have otherwise considered a period abroad because of the costs to apply for one of these awards.
In 2017/18 this funding is available to full or part-time home undergraduate students who are eligible for full fees and who are ordinarily resident in England. It is only available to students in these categories whose annual household income has been assessed by the Student Loan Company to be under £42,875. Students must make use of this funding prior to 31 May in their final year of undergraduate studies.
Please note: after travel has taken place, the student recipient is required to:
- Submit a reflective piece (guidance will be provided)
- Submit all receipts
- Sign up to a career session on how to communicate what they have experienced in a job situation.
The Bath Spa Outward Mobility Award Scheme is open to any UK-domiciled home student currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course who has been assessed by Student Finance as being from a household with an annual income of below £42,875.
The allocation of funds will be given at each disbursement panel, but as awards under this scheme will be in limited supply, first priority will go to Stream 1 students, then to Stream 2.
If you are at all uncertain if you fall under any of the below categories please contact the Widening Participation team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students of any age in higher education and whose annual household income is below £25,000.
Students need to have applied for Student Finance for the academic year in which the mobility is to take place. When making your application to Student Finance, give consent for your household income details to be shared with Bath Spa University. Your household income figure will then be automatically sent to the University and used to assess your eligibility for the award.
Students whose annual household income is below £42,875, and (at least one of the following):
- Are attending university while living at home
- Were in receipt of free school meals at secondary school
- Whose parents did not attend university
- Are care leavers
- Are young adult carers
- Have disclosed a disability to Bath Spa University
- Are categorised by the Student Loan Company as estranged from their parents.
Terms and conditions
Successful recipients will be subject to the following conditions:
- Awards must be used for the purposes stated in your application form.
- If, by reason of any emergency or other circumstance, the Award holder is unable to complete the project, he or she will be required to refund all or part of the Award as may be considered reasonable in all the circumstances.
- Recipients may be publicised on the University website and in the media; recipients will be expected to provide appropriate feedback (reports, blogs, pictures and/or videos) to support this.
- Recipients must supply the International Office with a reflective piece of writing on how the funding has supported their academic studies and will help their future career. This information will be used in literature to promote the value of and provide feedback to those who support the fund and the University.
- Recipients may be interviewed by the press office and/or be invited to attend events with donors who support the fund, partners in the project, other successful recipients and the wider University community, allowing discussion about the projects that have been carried out.
- Recognition of the award should be made wherever possible. Wording such as "Supported by Bath Spa University Outward Mobility Award" would suffice, but please run the wording by the International Office on +44 (0)1225 875777 or email@example.com.
Funds must be used to support a study, research or work placement abroad of at least 21 days or more, which will have a direct impact on studies, research and/or career.
The proposed travel should not begin within eight weeks of the application deadline. Applications for retrospective funding will not be considered.
How to apply
Applications are made via the AppHub. Follow the link, then click "Scholarship Applications". Next, click "Add Application" and select "Outward Mobility Award".
Applications should be submitted by 12pm (UK time) on the following dates:
- Friday 19 October 2018
- Friday 25 January 2019
- Friday15 March 2019
- Friday 18 April 2019
- 31 May 2019
How applications are judged
Outward Mobility Award allocations will be decided by the Bath Spa University disbursement panel, which will consist of representatives from the International Relations Office, Careers Department and Widening Participation Office, in consultation with academics. The panel will meet three times a year to discuss applications received.
The panel will meet within four weeks of each application deadline and applicants should expect to hear an outcome within six weeks.