Want to retrain for a career in web or app design and development? Our online short course in Creative Computing offers maximum flexibility so that you can fit up-skilling into your life.
This funded digital skills course is for adults requiring new and additional skills to embark on a career within the creative industries – where digital skills are highly sought after, particularly in the areas of:
- UI/UX design
- App and web development
- Product management
- Project management.
During this 12-week short course, you'll be provided with the necessary skills to gain employment in tech industries and creative practices. You'll learn how to use digital technology to aid the development of applications and product management in arts, entertainment, games, mobile applications, multimedia, and web design.
While focusing on project management, app development and web development, you'll produce a portfolio of prototypes to demonstrate to employers as an example of your practical skills in creative computing.
This online course is open to anyone living in the south west region (Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset).
- Introduction to design thinking
- Agile project management techniques, including taking part in a sprint and a scrum
- Ideation and creative problem solving
- Digital identity and storytelling
- Coding tools for web development and app development
- User experience (UX) design
- How to use prototyping tools
- Personal and professional skills including presentations and pitching
- Employment support including techniques for job applications and mock interviews.
You'll be taught by highly experienced lecturers and also benefit from guest speakers, group exercises and a blended delivery model to ensure that you can fit the course around your other commitments. You'll work on group and individual projects, creating a portfolio to showcase your skills gained in the 12 weeks.
This course will be taught mainly online but due to the hands-on nature of some elements, it is possible that there will be an in-person teaching day at Bath Spa University as part of this bootcamp.
Session dates and times
Currently, all our Creative Computing bootcamps are fully subscribed. We are working to confirm further dates for this bootcamp, please register your interest below and we will contact you when places become available.
There are a limited amount of spaces on each bootcamp and demand is expected to be high, so please register immediately to ensure that you are placed on a priority waiting list.
Who can apply?
This bootcamp is for adults impacted by the pandemic who are seeking to upskill and reskill, leading to a career in digital technologies. The specific focus of this course is creative computing which is highly relevant in the South West’s creative economy.
- Be aged 19+
- Have the right to live and work in the UK
- Agree to provide mandatory personal data and supplementary information on your employment outcomes for up to eight months following completion of the bootcamp
- Be looking for a new role, new opportunities or increased responsibility/promotion to a different role that utilises the skills acquired through this bootcamp.
- Live in the south west region (includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Dorset – see map below)
- Employed/self-employed, or
- Be a career changer/returner/redeployed, or
- Unemployed within the last 12 months.
Why should I apply?
Working directly with local employers you'll be supported with clear pathways to employment as well as gaining core employability skills.
Are there any prerequisites?
All applicants should have aspirations for a career in the creative industries using digital technology. You may be interested in web design, UX/UI design, agile project management and/or app development.
While some previous knowledge is desirable, the most important factor is a positive mindset, desire and commitment, as without this it will be difficult to sustain the intensity required for successful completion.
I've submitted my enquiry form - what happens next?
If you meet the basic eligibility criteria for this bootcamp we'll invite you to complete a second stage application form. A member of our team will then contact you to conduct a short telephone interview to discuss your objectives and ensure your suitability for this course. We want to ensure all participants have the best chance of completing this short course with an employment outcome.
How much will it cost me?
All Creative Computing Bootcamps are funded by the Department for Education (DfE), and therefore there is no charge.
Please note: If you're being sent for training by your employer, your employer will need to pay 30% of the total fees. Employers should speak directly to us to understand the fee structure. Please contact us at email@example.com.
What will I learn?
You'll learn about:
- Introduction to computing and the creative industries
- Ideation and creative problem solving
- Digital identity and storytelling
- Web development
- Experience design
- Image, motion, sound, graphics and code
- Smartphone and web apps.
Upon completion of this bootcamp, you'll be able to:
- Apply computing to creativity in spheres such as the arts, entertainment and games, mobile applications, multimedia, web design and other interactive systems
- Demonstrate experience of project work and application of creative computing to solving creative industry challenges or requirements
- Understand practices of digital identity and storytelling with the use of images, motion and sound
- Apply concepts to web and app experience design
- Write compelling job applications, get an interview and recognise different interview styles
- Demonstrate improvement in personal or soft skills through individual and group exercise work
- Achieve an employment outcome in creative computing.
How will the teaching be delivered?
You'll be taught through a combination of face-to-face and online teaching to provide maximum flexibility and the opportunity for you to combine learning with other life commitments.
Online teaching will take place from 10am-1pm daily and you'll be expected to attend all sessions.
There are two in-person weekends hosted at our Bath Spa Campus to allow more hands-on, practical group work to be undertaken.
Has this bootcamp been designed/created with employer input?
We've worked with our established employer partnership comprising individual businesses and representative bodies such as the Chambers of Commerce, to ensure this course meets the needs of a broad range of SMEs and larger employers. Our content has been validated with a subset of employers prior to delivery to ensure alignment with skills demand.
How are employers involved in the delivery?
Employers were involved in an initial consultation on the design and content of this course and feature throughout a number of weeks of teaching. Employers have provided assistance with mock interviews, employer networking events, employer involvement in project assessment, and 1-2-1 employer mentoring to achieve employment outcomes.
What are the routes to employment following successful completion?
Throughout the bootcamp, you'll develop your employability and soft skills based on proven methods for CV writing, interview techniques and personal statement creation. You'll also gain knowledge of techniques in confidence, resiliency, communication and problem-solving.
In addition to traditional classroom-based learning delivery, you'll be provided with opportunities for these skills to be practised and displayed throughout. We encourage mentorship through college and university alumni and staff.
How does the in-person teaching element work?
The next in-person teaching day for bootcamps beginning, 6 December, 13 December and 10 January, will be on Wednesday 12 January from 10am-4pm. This will contain key elements of your course and we do expect everyone to attend. If there are any problems with this, please discuss this with us in your telephone interview. Your second in-person teaching day will be confirmed to you as soon as possible after you begin your course.
If you have any queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.