My research interests focus on the political and social history of early modern England. I have a particular interest in the circulation and interpretation of news and rumour, and what this can tell us about the relationship between elite and popular politics.
- PhD Sheffield University
- MA Sheffield University
- BA(Hons) Sheffield University.
- BA (Hons) History, University of Sheffield, 2001-4
- MA Historical Research, University of Sheffield, 2005
- PhD, University of Sheffield, 2007-11
- Short-term fellowship, Huntington Library, California, 2009
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship, Durham University, 2011-13
- Short-term fellowship, Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC, 2013-14
- Short-term fellowship, Lewis Walpole Library, 2017.
- 2013 - present, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2016 - present, Fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
Research and academic outputs
Coast, D (2014) News and rumour in Jacobean England: information, court politics and diplomacy, 1618-25. Politics, culture and society in early modern Britain . Manchester University Press, Manchester. ISBN 9780719089480
Coast, D (2018) 'Secrecy, counsel and public opinion during the Spanish and French matches.' In: Caldari, V and Wolfson, S.J, eds. Stuart marriage diplomacy: dynastic politics in their European context, 1604-1630. Boydell & Brewer, Suffolk, pp. 189-202. ISBN 9781783271436
Coast, D (2019) 'Speaking for the people in early modern England.' Past and Present, 244 (1). pp. 51-88. ISSN 0031-2746
Coast, D (2017) ''Reformation’ or ‘ruin’? The impeachment of the duke of Buckingham and early Stuart politics.' Historical Research, 90 (250). pp. 704-725. ISSN 1468-2281
Rumor and "common fame": the impeachment of the Duke of Buckingham and public opinion in early Stuart England
Coast, D (2016) 'Rumor and "common fame": the impeachment of the Duke of Buckingham and public opinion in early Stuart England.' Journal of British Studies, 55 (2). pp. 241-267. ISSN 1545-6986
Coast, D and Fox, J (2015) 'Rumour and politics.' History Compass, 13 (5). pp. 222-234. ISSN 1478-0542
Coast, D (2012) 'Misinformation and disinformation in late Jacobean court politics.' Journal of Early Modern History, 16 (4-5). pp. 335-354. ISSN 1385-3783
Coast, D (2015) The Duke of Buckingham, secrecy and the ‘crisis of counsel’ in the 1620s. In: News, Secrecy and Foreign Policy in Early Modern England, 24 October 2015, Bath Royal Science and Literary Institution, Bath, UK.