Mike is a Senior Lecturer in Academic Professional Development within the School of Education at Bath Spa. His main responsibilities relate to supporting and developing staff in the area of learning and teaching in HE. This entails teaching on the PGCert in Professional Learning in Higher Education, the Master's in Professional Practice in Higher Education, and contributing to the PRO-SPACE pathway to HEA accreditation. Mike is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) (Fellow 2008-2018) and a Fellow of the Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA).
Prior to his arrival at Bath Spa, Mike worked for 14 years at St Mary’s University in Twickenham. In this time, Mike progressed from Visiting, to Associate, to full-time Lecturer, and finally Senior Lecturer (2012-18). His teaching spanned foundation, undergraduate, and postgraduate levels, including dissertation supervision. This entailed teaching Sport Science, Sociology of Sport, Coaching Science, and Research Methods, alongside an active engagement in pedagogy, teaching and learning, and broader institutional matters.
Mike previously played and coached rugby union at Rosslyn Park, CS Rugby 1863, and Enköpings RK (among others), during a playing career spanning 30 years (primarily at tighthead prop).
- EdD - Professional Doctorate in Education (Nottingham Trent University)
- PGDip - Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (University of Surrey - Roehampton)
- MA - Sport and Culture (University of Surrey - Roehampton)
- BSc (Hons) - Sport Science with Irish Studies (University of Surrey - St Mary’s College).
Recent professional development
- NCFE - Lean Organisation Management (Level 2)
- NCFE - Counselling Skills (Level 2)
- SEDA - Supporting and Leading Educational Change.
- RFU - Adult Rugby Coach (Level 2)
- RFU - Start Rugby
- SAQ Trainer.
- Senior Fellow - Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Fellow - Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA)
- Fellow - Higher Education Academy (HEA) (2008-2018).
Areas of expertise
- Learning and teaching in Higher Education
- Sociology of Education
- Sociology of Sport.
- "Desperately seeking dialogue? Feedback and the promise of dialogue in the era of the NSS." SEDA Spring Conference, Glasgow (2020) *postponed until 2021*
- “‘The F-word’: Feedback and Dialogue framed as Bourdieusian practice.” EdD colloquium, Oxford Brookes (2016)
- “Chasing horses with water? Reflections on module design, student engagement, and implications for TEF – a case study and discussion.” Teaching and Learning Conference, St. Mary’s, Twickenham (2016)
- “What works? Student Retention and Success. Supporting student success: strategies for institutional change” (HEA, 2014). Discipline contributor, St Mary’s, Twickenham.