I teach film and media communication and have published a range of work on the representation of gender in popular media culture. I have published in journals such as the Quarterly Review of Film and Video, the Journal of Popular Film and Television, Continuum, the European Journal of Cultural Studies and the Journal of Gender Studies. I have written books on Masculinity and Popular Television (EUP 2008), Motherhood and Popular Television (Anthem 2012) and maternal audiences (Peter Lang 2016).
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Gender in film and television
- Stardom and celebrity.
My current research examines the representation of infertility, abortion, fostering, adoption and surrogacy in a wide range of films, television genres, blogs, websites, newspapers and magazine media in order to illustrate the ways in which infertility, non-biological mothering and childlessness are being depicted in the mainstream media (Palgrave Macmillan 2019).
External examiner for the Faculty of Media, Arts and Society for Southampton Solent University, 2011-2016.
External examiner for PhD:
- Representations of fatherhood on popular television (University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Postfeminist nostalgia and Hollywood cinema (Southern Cross University, Australia)
- Toxic celebrity (Deakin University, Australia)
- Male street dance crews on television talent show competitions (University of Surrey, UK).
I have acted as a Bath Spa University representative for the Access to HE Centre Review Panel for Petroc Further Education college.
Other external roles
- Editorial Board of TV/Series in France
- Editorial Board of Celebrity Studies.
I routinely review and referee work on celebrity culture and representations of gender for publishers and journals such as:
- Asian Journal of Communication
- European Journal of Womens Studies
- Feminist Media Studies
- Journal of Popular Television
- Men and Masculinities
- Sociology Compass
- The 49th Parallel
- The Journal of American Studies
- The Journal of Gender Studies
- The Journal of Men's Studies.