Giles is the Programme Leader for Academic Professional Development at Bath Spa's Institute for Education. His main interests are developing learning and teaching in higher education, university teacher development, learning technologies, university mathematics education, and transitions in education.
His responsibilities include all HEA (Higher Education Academy) Fellowship programmes at Bath Spa University, including the accredited PGCert for new lecturers (CPLHE) and the PRO-SPACE CPD scheme for experienced staff, as well as the postgraduate programme in Professional Practice in Higher Education.
His work includes teaching and directly supporting all new academic staff at the University, as well as supporting the professional development of both experienced academics and professional services staff who directly support student learning.
Professionally, Giles has over ten years’ experience in educational development. He has led courses for university staff in learning and teaching in higher education at several universities before joining Bath Spa in 2017. Originally, his background was in mathematical physics, including research in astrophysics, particle physics and primarily in quantum field theory.
- MSci Mathematical Physics, University of Nottingham
- MEd Educational Research, University of Cambridge
- PhD Mathematics, University of York.
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Fellow of the Staff and Educational Development Association (FSEDA).
Other external roles
- External Examiner, University of York (York Learning and Teaching Certificate).
- Learning and teaching in higher education
- Academic development
- Curriculum design and development
- Learning technologies.