Helen is a Senior Lecturer in Sociology at Bath Spa University. She joined Bath Spa in January 2017, having previously worked at Surrey, Northampton and Kingston universities.
Helen’s research interests include: ‘race’ and ethnicity; social inequalities; the relationship between identity, belonging and place; theories and lay understandings of ‘community’; the exclusion of ethnic minorities from the English countryside; social class and cultural capital; and qualitative (especially ethnographic and participatory) research methods.
- BA, Warwick University
- MA, London School of Economics
- PGCE, Goldsmiths, University of London
- MSc, University of Surrey
- PhD, University of Surrey.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the British Sociological Association.
Helen is the module coordinator for:
- SC6008: Gender: Mind, Body, Culture
- SC5109: Migration: Identity, Belonging and Security.
She also teaches on:
- SC4001: Discovering Sociology
- SC6010: Migration, Diversity and Racism.
Areas of expertise
- ‘Race’, ethnicity and migration
- Gender and feminist theory
- Social research methods.