- Course Tutor: PGCE Secondary English
- School: School of Education
Helena leads and teaches on the Secondary English PGCE. She was an English teacher in London schools before working as a local authority English consultant in Tower Hamlets. Following this, Helena went into Initial Teacher Education as a Senior Lecturer in Education for Canterbury Christ Church University (Teach First) before joining Bath Spa University in 2013.
From the beginnings of her career as an English teacher, Helena’s interest has always been in the opportunities her subject presents for creativity, collaboration, and pupils’ personal growth. She is currently involved in two inter-university research projects investigating the teaching of creative writing and KS3 literature in English schools. In addition, Helena is undertaking doctoral research into novice teachers’ experiences of the English curriculum.
- BA(Hons) University of Durham
- MA University of Salford
- QTS University of London, Goldsmiths' College.
- National Association of Teachers of English
- Thomas, H. (2017),"Working through the ethical implications of educational research", PGCE Research Conference, Bath Spa University, UK, 23 June 2017
- Thomas, H. (2018),"Imagining Possibilities in English Teaching: Using conceptions of the imagination from Kant and Hume to Maxine Greene in order to teach writing to 11-18 year olds", Wild Things Conference, Bath Spa University, UK, 30 April 2018
- Thomas, H. (2018)," Supporting novice teachers of writing: Imagining possibilities in English teaching", National Association of Writers in Education Conference, York, UK, 9 November 2018
Research and academic outputs
Drama in English
Thomas, H (2021) 'Drama in English.' In: Watson, A and Newman, R.G, eds. A practical guide to teaching English in the secondary school. 2nd ed. Routledge, Abingdon, pp. 105-115. ISBN 9780367553364
Teaching Key Stage 3 literature: the challenges of accountability, gender and diversity
Kneen, J, Chapman, S, Foley, J, Kelly, L, Smith, L, Thomas, H and Watson, A (2022) 'Teaching Key Stage 3 literature: the challenges of accountability, gender and diversity.' Literacy, 56 (4). pp. 371-385. ISSN 1741-4350
Teacher agency in the selection of literary texts
Watson, A, Kelly, L, Foley, J, Kneen, J, Chapman, S, Smith, L and Thomas, H (2022) 'Teacher agency in the selection of literary texts.' English in Education, 56 (4). pp. 340-356. ISSN 0425-0494
The dance and the tune: a storied exploration of the teaching of stories
Smith, L, Thomas, H, Chapman, S, Foley, J, Kelly, L, Kneen, J and Watson, A (2022) 'The dance and the tune: a storied exploration of the teaching of stories.' Changing English, 29 (1). pp. 40-52. ISSN 1469-3585
English teaching and imagination: a case for revisiting the value of imagination in teaching writing
Thomas, H (2019) 'English teaching and imagination: a case for revisiting the value of imagination in teaching writing.' English in Education, 53 (1). pp. 49-60. ISSN 0425-0494