Hugh Osborne joined the university in July 2013. He is a senior lecturer in International Teaching and Support in the English Language Unit. His current responsibilities include delivering Pre-Sessional programmes and supporting international students across Bath Spa. He also delivers modules in the Bath Business School for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Previously, Hugh worked for the University of Bath directing the summer Pre-Sessional Management programme, preparing international students for School of Management postgraduate courses, including the MBA. He also designed materials for, coordinated, and taught on courses to support international and domestic students on the School's various postgraduate courses. Finally, he was involved in various projects across the University developing student employability. Hugh also taught at Nankai University, China, for several years.
For fifteen years, Hugh worked in journalism, travel, recruitment, and sales and marketing. His years in business finished as a company director of a company that he had started, before he sold up and returned to teaching.
Hugh's main professional interests lie in integration strategies for international students, teaching academic writing and assessment methods.
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics, University of Bristol
- MA Area Studies (Far East), University of London (SOAS)
- MA Professional Practice in Higher Education, Bath Spa University.
- Postgraduate Certificate of Professional Learning in Higher Education (CPLHE)
- RSA Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - Bell College Cambridge.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
- Internationalisation of HE
- Integration (of international students)
- Academic writing skills
- Assessment methods.
- (Former) Examiner for the Cambridge IELTS exam.
Research and academic outputs
- The role of lecturers in ensuring that assessments are accessible to international students
- Integrating international students into the higher education classroom.
- Workshop (with Sarah Sibley) on The Integration of International Students in UK Higher Education, HEA conference on internationalisation of Higher Education, University of Plymouth, 2015.
- Workshop (with Sarah Sibley) on Supporting Learning Abroad Students, BUTEX international conference, Bath Spa University, 2016.
- Several workshops for Bath Spa University academic and professional staff, 2017-2019 including, Dealing with International Students, Supporting International Students through Culture Shock, Ways of Communicating with International Students, and International Students and Assessments.