Kate is an Associate Lecturer in Education History and Heritage, having previously taught for many years in Cultural Studies and Screen Media. Having published in a number of books and journals on aspects of teaching and learning, she is currently undertaking a doctoral thesis on the history of children in institutionalised care.
- MA Education Studies - Bath Spa University
Areas of expertise
- History and heritage
- Widening participation and inclusion
- Critical discourse analysis
- Brooks, K (2018) Non-attendance: Bristol students’ responses report presented at: Attendance Strategy Consultation Workshop, Bristol City Council
- Brooks, K (2014) Attendance Report – students, staff & families and the new attendance regulations, Bristol Metropolitan Academy.
- Brooks, K, Mayer, K and Noonan, A (2010) Teachers, facilitators, gatekeepers?
Tutors’ perceptions of the Graduate Development Programme in SCA Faculty of Creative Arts, UWE
- Brooks, K (2009) Student Review of the Graduate Development Programme, Faculty of Creative Arts, UWE
- Brooks, K and Kelly, K (2007) Feedback on Feedback: Student Feedback Report, School of Cultural Studies, UWE
- Brooks, K and Kelly, K (2006) Student Transition Project, School of Cultural Studies, UWE
Conference and seminar papers (selected)
- ‘Foucault, fever and ‘working in the real’ approaching archive research’ - IfE Conference, June 2019
- ‘‘It’s been a rollercoaster year of swings and roundabouts’ – supporting students in their transitional year’ From Great Expectations to hard Times? Supporting students’ transition - UWE Academic Literacy Forum, March 2012
- ‘ ‘The hardest experience of my life so far’: using unassessed writing exercises in student feedback’ presented at The Assessment Swapshop Conference - University of Chichester, May 2010
- ‘Why do Media Studies in a recession?’ talk and workshop, HELOA South West: HE Advisers Day - UWE, June 2009
- ‘Conceptualising the transition… Understanding change in Higher Education’, Bristol Business School Teaching and Learning Conference - UWE, September 2008
- ‘Talking through transition: students’ talk and investments in campus culture’ presented at University Life Uncovered, Social Policy and Social Work Conference - Manchester Conference centre, November 2007
- ‘Negotiating professional identities: undergraduates’ perceptions of teaching and learning’ Workshop co-presented with Debbie Flint, ADM-HEA, at MECCSA Post-Graduate Conference - UWE, July 2007
- 'Good work? Volunteering as a 'way in' to the labour market' presented at The Caring face of Capitalism? ESRC Seminar Series - Sheffield University, April 2001.
Talks and events
- Performer (2019): Won poetry competition; performed poem (relating to fostering and the Foundling Museum) at ‘Charismatic Objects’ event, run by St Martins College and Foundling Museum
- Facilitator (2019-): Series of art workshops relating to my research topic, with children in care: ‘History? Our Story’ to be exhibited at Bristol City Hall
- Facilitator/speaker (2019): Care-leavers and children in care session on ‘history of the language of care’ workshops
- Speaker (2019): Foster carer workshop on ‘SEN children – historical perspective ‘
- Speaker (2018): Talk on ‘The History of Care’ to Foster carers for Bristol City Council.
Research and academic outputs
Jackson, P, Stevenson, N and Brooks, K (2001) Making sense of men's magazines. Polity, Cambridge. ISBN 9780745621760
Brooks, K (2008) 'Living and learning: students’ talk and investments in university culture.' In: University life uncovered: making sense of the student experience. Higher Education Academy Subject Centre for Social Policy and Social Work (SWAP), Southampton, pp. 34-43. ISBN 9780854328901
Brooks, K (2007) 'Loaded with meaning: men's magazines and the appropriation of tabloid talk.' In: Biressi, A and Nunn, H, eds. The tabloid culture reader. Open University Press, Maidenhead, pp. 197-204. ISBN 9780335219315
Stevenson, N, Jackson, P and Brooks, K (2003) 'Reading men’s lifestyle magazines: cultural power and the information society.' In: Benwell, B, ed. Masculinity and men's lifestyle magazines. Blackwell, Oxford, pp. 112-131. ISBN 9781405114639
Crewe, L, Gregson, N and Brooks, K (2003) 'Alternative retail spaces.' In: Leyshon, A, Lee, R and Williams, C.C, eds. Alternative economic spaces. SAGE, London, pp. 74-106. ISBN 9780761971290
Brooks, K (2019) ''In this age of wonders': exploring the myth of George Muller.' Question, 4. pp. 58-65. ISSN 2632-5454
Brooks, K (2019) 'Barbarous custom: discursively deconstructing The Prevent Duty.' Educationalfutures, 10 (1). pp. 58-82. ISSN 1758-2199
Brooks, K (2008) 'Could do better? Students’ critique of written feedback.' Networks, 5. ISSN 1756-963X
Brooks, K (2002) 'Talking about volunteering: a discourse analysis approach to volunteer motivations.' Voluntary Action, 4 (3).
Brooks, K (2019) Scrap [poetry performance]. In: Charismatic Objects, Foundling Museum, London, UK, 7 June 2019.
Brooks, K (2020) Making a stand with Mary [blog post]. Research Exchange - The Social History Society.