Nassos Polyzoidis is a guitarist, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, educator, music theorist, and PhD candidate from Athens, Greece.
He has studied electric guitar, music theory, jazz harmony, contemporary composition, vocals, piano and songwriting with tutors like Max Milligan, Dr Davey Ray Moor, Pantelis Gertsos and Nikos Panagiotakis, to name but a few. He holds a Masters degree in Songwriting from Bath Spa University, an Associate Diploma in Music Teaching from the University of West London, a degree in Music Harmony from the Musical Praxis Conservatory, and a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science from the University of Athens.
He is the course leader for songwriting and electric guitar studies at two music schools in Athens. He also teaches acoustic guitar, music theory, jazz harmony and occasionally ukulele at the National Conservatory, the Musicfor network, Tony Kontaxakis Music Studies school, and Diesi music school.
In 2017, he released his first personal album, Love in Crisis, under the pseudonym ‘Nassos Conqueso’. He has also released four singles with his side project Sakké ConQuéso, he has contributed to other artists’ releases, as well as to the European Union's Introspection Music Experience project.
The central purpose of his research is to identify similarities in approach and conception of two distinct musical styles - rebetiko and blues - in different geographical locations with the aim of conceiving a creative method for generating cross-cultural music and lyrics. Nassos regularly presents his research at international conferences, including the SotonMAC 2019 (Southampton), AVAMUS 2019 (Valencia), IASMP UK&I 2020 (London), KISMIF 2021 (Porto), and RMA 2021 (Newcastle).
- MMus Songwriting – Bath Spa University
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science - University of Athens
- ALCM (TD) Music Teaching – University of West London
- Society for Music Analysis (SMA)
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM)
- Royal Musical Association (RMA)
- British Forum Ethnomusicology (BFE)
- International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM)
- Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM)
- Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA)
- Performing Rights Society (PRS)
- Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL)
- Registry of Guitar Tutors (RGT@LCM)
Sociocultural and musical characteristics of Rebetiko and Blues and their hybrids.
Dr Davey Ray Moor and Professor Amanda Bayley.
Songwriting, Hybrids, Ethnomusicology, Primitivism.
Research and academic outputs
- Polyzoidis, N. (2019) 'Fingerstyle Rebetiko: the revival of a lost technique'. Quadrívium,-Revista Digital de Musicologia 10. ISSN 1989-8851.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2022) 'The commonalities between the DIY cultures of rebetiko and blues', in P. Guerra and S. Sousa (eds) Keep it Simple, Make it Fast! An approach to underground music scenes (vol. 5). Porto: Universidade do Porto - Faculdade de Letras, pp. 92-102.
Conference and workshop items
- Polyzoidis, N. (2021) Westernisation of rebetiko modes: dromoi brightness and darkness. In: 10th European Music Analysis Conference (EuroMAC-10), 23 September 2021, Moscow P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2021) Reharmonising rebetiko modes in a contemporary context. In: Royal Musical Association 57th Annual Conference, 15 September 2021, Newcastle University.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2021) Rebetiko songs labelled as "The Blues of the Prince [of Greek rock]". In: Birmingham Music Analysis Conference (BrumMAC 2021), 30 July 2021, University of Birmingham.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2021) The commonalities between the DIY cultures of rebetiko and blues. In: "Keep it Simple, Make it Fast! DIY cultures and global challenges" KISMIF International Conference 2021, 9 July 2021, University of Porto, Portugal.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2020) Rebetiko and blues: from Yiorgos Batis's "O Boufetzis" (1935) to Georges Pilali's "Teketzis" (1994). In: London Calling - IASPM UK&I Conference, 2 June 2020, University of West London.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2020) 'Uncannily Alike'. In Deductive and Inductive Working Methods: C21MP Online Practice Research Symposium, 2 May 2020, 21st Century Music Practice Research Network.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2020) How I Write Songs. In: Introspection Music Experience, 12 February 2020, Laboratorio de las Artes de Valladolid, Spain.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2020) Tsibiti: the country blues and Texas blues fingerstyle rebetiko. In: BFE-RMA Research Students' Conference 2020, 10 January 2020, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Polyzoidis, N. (2019) Rebetiko meets the blues: the songwriting of Pavlos Sidiropoulos. In: Southampton Music Analysis Conference, 30 July 2019, University of Southampton, Southampton
- Polyzoidis, N. (2019) Fingerstyle Rebetiko: the revival of a lost technique. In: The Mediterranean: Migrant Sounds - AVAMUS International Conference, 25 July 2019, Centre Cultural La Nau, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain.