Nassos Polyzoidis is a guitarist, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, educator, and PhD researcher from Athens, Greece.
He has studied electric guitar, music theory, jazz harmony, contemporary composition, vocals, piano and songwriting with tutors like Max Milligan, Davey Ray Moor, Pantelis Gertsos and Nikos Panagiotakis, to name but a few. He holds a Masters degree in Songwriting from Bath Spa University, an Associate Diploma in Music Teaching from University of West London, a degree in Music Harmony from Musical Praxis Conservatory, and a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science from University of Athens.
He is the course leader for songwriting and electric guitar studies at two music schools in Athens. He also teaches acoustic guitar, music theory, jazz harmony and occasionally ukulele in the National Conservatory and in three music schools.
In 2017, he released his first personal album, Love in Crisis, under the pseudonym ‘Nassos Conqueso’. He has also released four singles with his side project Sakké ConQuéso and has contributed to other artists’ releases.
The central purpose of his research is to identify similarities in approach and conception of two different geographical and musical words, the rebetiko and the blues, with the aim of conceiving a creative method for generating cross-cultural music and lyrics. Part of this research has been presented in two international conferences, the Southampton Music Analysis Conference (SotonMAC) and “The Mediterranean: Migrant Sounds” – AVAMUS International Conference.
- MMus Songwriting – Bath Spa University
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science - University of Athens
- ALCM (TD) Music Teaching – University of West London
- Society for Music Analysis (SMA)
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM)
- Royal Musical Association (RMA)
- Performing Rights Society (PRS)
- Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL)
- Registry of Guitar Tutors (RGT)
Sociocultural and musical characteristics of Rebetiko and Blues and their hybrids.
Songwriting, Hybrids, Ethnomusicology, Primitivism.
Research and academic outputs
Conference and workshop items
- Polyzoidis, N. (2020) Tsibiti: the country blues and Texas blues fingerstyle rebetiko. In: BFE-RMA Research Students' Conference 2020, 10 January 2020, The Open University, Milton Keynes.
- Polyzoidis, N (2019) Rebetiko meets the blues: the songwriting of Pavlos Sidiropoulos. In: Southampton Music Analysis Conference, 30 July 2019, University of Southampton, Southampton
- Polyzoidis, N (2019) Fingerstyle Rebetiko: the revival of a lost technique. In: The Mediterranean: Migrant Sounds - AVAMUS International Conference, 25 July 2019, Centre Cultural La Nau, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain.