At Bath Spa University, your trust in us as your employer is very important to us. We're committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
What we collect and how we use the information
We collect personal data via the employment application and recruitment process, and when you enter into a contract as an employee of the University. This data is used by the University for:
- Administration of payroll and pensions
- Preparation and performance of an employment contract
- Provision of staff support services such as occupational health and other welfare services
- Management of staff records
- Providing internal operational information
- Providing access to buildings and to parking facilities
- Ensuring compliance with statutory requirements such as monitoring equal opportunities, processing and responding to subject access requests, and complying with visa requirements.
Basic personal details can be maintained via MyHR, and/or by contacting the HR Department.
Information collected will not be used for automated decision-making or profiling individuals.
Retention of personal data
The University will only keep your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it is processed and in accordance with relevant legislation.
Personal data is processed and stored in-line with relevant data protection law and is stored securely using processes and systems that comply with Bath Spa University’s strict information security and data protection principles.
Disclosure and transfer of personal data
We will only disclose your personal data to a third party when we are required to by law, where we have your specific consent, to the following:
- Companies or suppliers with whom we engage to process data on our behalf or those who work with us to provide staff support services such as occupational health.
- Current, past or potential employers of our staff (to provide or obtain references).
- Relevant government departments and agencies where we have a statutory obligation to provide information, such as Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Home Office (in connection with visas and immigration).
- The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), where we require a DBS check for certain roles.
- Professional and regulatory bodies in relation to confirmation of qualifications and professional conduct.
- Legal representatives.
- Internal and external auditors.
We are also required to send personal data to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). This does not include the name or contact details of staff. HESA collects and is responsible for the database in which HESA staff records are stored. HESA uses this information in its own right, for example to publish statistics about staff in higher education. HESA also processes the information held in the databases for other organisations and therefore the General Data Protection Regulation also applies to HESA.
Following an individual staff request or discussion with HR regarding your medical circumstances, HR will share your personal data with services such as Occupational Health for the purposes of ensuring your safety and that adequate provision can be made to support your specific needs. Individuals have the right to refuse Occupational Health and referral disclosures will be undertaken by your HR Business Partner with your verbal understanding and consent.
Explicit consent is then sought by Occupational Health directly with you for the assessment, which details how our preferred provider will treat your data and instances of disclosing information to BSU.
If a member of staff provides us with information about their disability status, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, parental leave, or religion, this will be included in the HESA staff record. This helps to make sure people are being given equal opportunities and to prevent unlawful discrimination. HESA will not use this information in any way to make decisions about you.
For more information about the way HESA use staff information please visit the HESA website to view the staff collection notice.