Accommodation Support

The Student Accommodation team will give you support and guidance – wherever you're living.

We're committed to ensuring that you have a good living experience while studying with us. We have a range of support services available to you.

Living in Accommodation

When you move into your accommodation, your housemates become your household for the time you live with us. These are the people you will likely interact with the most each day. This household could include the other residents in your flat, or the people in your corridor (if you don’t live in a flat).

Cleaning and hand washing are still very important within your household. You’ll find wall-mounted hand sanitiser stations installed close to entrances and exits in your accommodation. 

If anyone in your household develops Covid-19 symptoms, the first thing to do is seek advice. If there's a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus in your household, you must tell the University. We'll support students who need to self-isolate.

As the academic year progresses, the situation surrounding Covid-19 will change and our plans will adapt in line with Government guidance. If there is a full lockdown again, and you are unable to return home, please know that you will be able to remain in your accommodation and the University will support you.

Visitor Policy (Updated 28 September 2020)

Visitors are not currently permitted within our halls of residence (with the exception of where students are still moving in and arriving). 

Services and support

UUK Code

We have committed to the Universities UK Code of Practice for University Managed Student Accommodation in all University managed Halls of Residence.

The Code aims to promote best practice over a range of management activities including:

  • Health and safety standards
  • Maintenance and repair regimes
  • Environmental quality
  • Landlord and tenant relationships
  • Student welfare 
  • Anti-social behaviour.

Under 18s

Bath Spa University Accommodation – Under 18s Policy

(Revised March 2018)

1.0 Bath Spa Accommodation will:

  1. Offer accommodation to all those students who fulfil the criteria set out by accommodation policies and terms and conditions.
  2. Treat students equally under the terms and conditions of the Licence Agreement, regardless of age.
  3. Offer support to the student if requested, and arrange follow-up meetings where requested by the student.
  4. Send relevant documentation to the student and parent/guardian or guarantor that is required to be accepted/signed and returned to Accommodation Services by the parent/guardian or guarantor before the student can take up residence.  

2.0 Bath Spa Accommodation will not:

  1. Carry out DBS checks for staff attending the residences for the upkeep of the building, any other students living within the same building, or any visiting guests.
  2. Act in Loco Parentis or provide direct supervision of the student. The individual’s parent or named guardian will remain primarily responsible.
  3. Monitor how the student spends their leisure time or manages their finances, both within and outside of accommodation.

3.0 Any students under 18 staying in halls must:

  1. Abide by the University’s Policy for Students Under 18 Years of Age 
  2. Agree to the License Agreement for their University managed accommodation
  3. Abide by the conditions laid out in the Residents’ Handbook, and UK legislation, particularly legislation for Under-18s e.g. alcohol laws etc.
  4. Stay away from the lake on Newton Park Campus without a parent or guardian
  5. Proactively seek support to overcome any issues or difficulties they are encountering
  6. Provide the name and address of a parent, guardian or other responsible adult who will be the point of contact for emergencies. This will be the next of kin mentioned on the student’s application form unless the student notifies Housing Services otherwise.

Information for current students

Licence agreement and handbook

Licence agreement

A licence agreement is a legally binding document that you sign just before the start of your university experience by moving into halls of residence. It's a written agreement between yourself and the University/third partner that states the following items: 

  • Details of the room you'll be occupying
  • Price of that room per week
  • Length of the contract
  • Terms and conditions that both yourself and the University have to uphold whilst you are in residence. 

The accommodation team normally sends out the online agreement to you before you move to Bath. Before you sign this, please read it carefully making sure you understand the terms and conditions set out. You can access the Licence Agreement throughout your stay at the University. 

Residents' handbook

The residents' handbook is a guide to make your time in accommodation the best it could it possibly be. Not only does it contain a full copy of the licence agreement, it also provides you with all the information you could ever need to know whilst in our accommodation, from items the University provides, to who to contact when you need support. Please download your location's handbook below (Bath Spa University managed accommodation only):

Health and safety

Your health and safety is of upmost importance to us. To make sure you know what to do, watch this video and read the below information.


If an emergency occurs, contact Security immediately on: +44 (0)1225 875555 or +44 (0)1225 876666 for Green Park House. If you're in any doubt, call the Emergency Services direct on 999 and then inform the Security Team so they can direct the Emergency Service when they arrive on site.

If you think you need medical help but it's not a 999 emergency, you can call 111, an NHS service offering advice and information on what action to take. Minor injuries or medical conditions that do not require immediate treatment at hospital should be referred to your doctor.

First aid

Security staff are qualified in Emergency First Aid at Work, and are equipped to deal with general incidents. However, in the event of a serious injury, an ambulance should be called.

Accident and emergency in Bath

Bath Royal United Hospital, Combe Park, Bath BA1 3NG. Telephone: +44 (0)1225 428331.

Reporting accidents

All accidents causing injury or near misses must be reported as soon as possible so that we can take steps to prevent a recurrence. Contact Student Accommodation or Security (out of normal office hours) at the time of the accident giving full details. An accident or near miss form should be completed and forwarded to the Health and Safety Office.


If you identify a hazard in your accommodation, please report it to the accommodation team or raise a repair through the Hub. If it's an emergency please contact security on +44 (0)1225 875555 for Newton Park, or +44 (0)1225 876666 for Green Park House.

Soft furnishings

If you wish to bring any additional furniture into the building, you must first get permission from Student Accommodation.

All furniture must comply with the Fire and Furnishings Regulations 1988 and must be labelled as such. Please note all study bedrooms are fully furnished, so there's little room for additional furnishing. If unauthorised furniture is found within your accommodation you'll be asked to remove it. If this isn't done, the University will arrange for its disposal. The disposal costs plus associated administration costs will be deducted from your deposit at the end of the Licence period.

Gas and electrical safety

The University ensures that current certificates / documentation are held which provide evidence that:

  • All gas appliances have been tested annually
  • All portable electrical appliances provided by the University are tested regularly.

Electricity supply

Care must be taken not to overload the electricity supply. The electricity supply in study bedrooms may be restricted so that only small electrical appliances such as your stereo, hair dryer, TV or PC may be used. Kettles, microwaves, rice cookers, etc can only be used in kitchens. Your own electrical appliances must be new or portable appliance tested. Any appliance you bring to halls of residence must be:

  • CE approved
  • Operate from UK voltage (240 volts) and standard three-pin plug. In the interests of safety, we don't permit the use of international travel adaptors in halls of residence.

Fridges, freezers and microwaves

You won't be allowed to keep fridges, freezers, microwaves or any kitchen appliances in your study bedroom for safety and hygiene reasons. If you need a small fridge in your room for any medical reason, please contact the Student Accommodation team for advice.


Bath Spa University insures the building and its own contents against loss or damage due to fire and flood. The University doesn't insure against negligence, accident or vandalism and in the event of being responsible for such an occurrence you may be charged accordingly. The University doesn't accept responsibility for the loss of, theft of or damage to residents' or other individuals' property. The University has arranged core possessions insurance with Endsleigh Insurance to cover your possessions while you're living in University managed accommodation. It's your responsibility to check the scope and level of the insurance cover and arrange additional cover for valuable items if required.

To view your full policy details and extend cover visit Endsleigh Insurance online or call free on: +44 (0)8000 327081. To make a claim, email or call +44 (0)8444 722507. Policy No: Bath Spa University HH1216.

Fire safety

Fire safety is essential in our halls of residence. We conduct fire drills every term to make sure that you are fully aware of the correct procedure to follow when you come to the University.

It's also really important that you take some time to familiarise yourself with the following information:

Fire alarms and evacuation:

Please pay particular attention to all escape routes and Fire Exits when you move into halls.

  • It's imperative that on hearing a fire alarm, you leave the building immediately.
  • Follow any instructions given by Staff, Security, Resident Life Assistants or members of the Emergency Services.
  • Don't re-enter the building until instructed to do so by a member of University staff.
  • All staff and students enrolled at Bath Spa University have the responsibility of being a Fire Marshal when on campus.

Assembly points:

Each accommodation has its own unique assembly point. The assembly point is detailed on fire safety panels that are placed around your flat – predominately on or near your kitchen door and above fire extinguishers. When you move in, make sure you know exactly where this is, as it will prove vital.

Fire safety equipment:

There are multiple different types of fire safety equipment present in all of our buildings. There are fire extinguishers in every block and main corridor. Please familiarise yourself with the extinguishers in your flat to know where they are. Each kitchen will also be equipped with a fire blanket. This is normally positioned to the side or above the oven.

Fire doors:

All fire doors in our buildings must be kept shut at all times when not in use. Fire doors are clearly marked. Please don't prop these doors open at any point in your tenancy.


Please don't leave items in the corridor, as these pose a severe fire risk. Please familiarise yourself with the fire safety guidelines in The Residence Handbook.

For more on fire safety in our halls of residence, please watch our short fire safety video

Useful services

There's a lot to think about both before and after you arrive in our accommodation, so we have prepared a list of useful links for various suppliers and services. Please be aware that this is not a personal recommendation from the University, and we can't be held responsible for the content of third-party sites.

Circuit Laundry manage the laundry machines at Newton Park and Green Park House. You can pay for your washing either via their website, or by using the app (although please be aware these are separate). You can also contact them if there are any issues with payment, or with the machines.

Please be aware that the Bath Spa Accommodation Team doesn't manage the laundry, so you'll need to speak to Circuit if you have any concerns.

Social events

We want you to be happy in our accommodation, and various events are run throughout the year.

We'll keep you up-to-date on activities and events that are happening at your particular accommodation site. We recommend following our social media accounts to keep up-to-date with new events:

Parents and guardians

Bath Spa has a range of accommodation options both on campus and in the city, all of which are safe and comfortable places to live. Please see our accommodation options for more information and our eligibility criteria.

Guest rooms are available through our Conferencing team all year round. These are based in our award winning Green Park House accommodation, and an excellent option for anyone wanting to stay. 

Please be aware that due to data protection reasons, we cannot discuss the details of a student over the phone with any individual, even if they claim to be a friend or family member, without prior permission from the student. 

Please see our accommodation pages for further information. However, should you have any further queries, please contact us directly and we would be happy to advise. 

Accommodation disciplinary procedure

For information on our Accommodation disciplinary procedure, please log into the Hub for more details.

Endsleigh Insurance

Confirm your FREE contents insurance

Your contents. Covered.

By partnering with Endsleigh, the No.1 student insurance provider, we’ve arranged free contents insurance for all our students staying with us.

It is important all students confirm their cover to ensure you understand what is and isn’t covered. 

Visit confirm your cover to see:

  • What is and what isn’t covered
  • Key exclusions - where cover isn’t provided
  • Policy excess – the amount you pay when you make a claim 
  • How to make claim
  • Personalise cover 

We understand students have a limited budget so Endsleigh have launched brand new, unique student insurance options. They have been designed to cover the risks that you may encounter whilst living in student accommodation and away from home.

Edit section | Website feedback to