I am a creative/academic based at Bath Spa University. My creative work embraces writing, filmmaking, choreography, and photography.
My PhD research concerns relationships between the dancer, the camera, and the spectator. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and am currently Course Director for Postgraduate Dance although I teach on both postgraduate and undergraduate courses.
The focus of my teaching is largely digital performance practice, which includes both work for the single screen and that in which digital practice and ‘live’ choreography intersect. I also teach in the areas of site specific performance and professional engagement.
I come from a dance background as both a performer and a choreographer, and in this capacity have performed and made work for theatres, festivals, television and communities across the UK, in Europe and in both North and South America. My films have been screened in the UK and at festivals around the world. In my work as a choreographer my focus is collaborative and interdisciplinary, drawing on text, film and live music, and working with other artists in a range of different fields. My film making, which is central to my creative practice, has a focus on screendance.
- PhD University of Kent
- MA Bath Spa University
- BA (Hons) Bath Spa University.
- Cert. Ed. Southampton University
- Cert TEFL, International House, London
- Dip. Dance Therapy, Association of Dance Therapy, London.
- Dance UK
- American Screendance Network
- Academic Adviser for the Royal West of England Academy
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Teaching Fellow of Bath Spa University.
Other external roles
- External Examiner MA Choreography, Trinity Laban.
- Interdisciplinary performance practice concerning the relationship between dance and other disciplines in performance making
- Screendance: the relationship between the moving body and the lens, and editing as choreographic process
- Professional Profile: supporting students towards graduating as an inspired, employable and enterprising artists.
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary practice - sound and movement
- Ongoing professional practice as a choreographer, film/video maker and writer.
- Moderator, South East Wales Access Consortium
- External Examiner University of Worcester
- External Examiner University of Sunderland.
Other external roles
- External Academic Advisor, Dance Theatre Award, Plymouth University
- Member of the Academic Advisory Panel for the Royal West of England Academy
- Visiting Fellow of University Campus Suffolk.
Recent professional updating
CONFERENCES and TRAINING
Choreoforum, Dance UK, Jerwood Centre. London. January 2005
- A Way In, National Dance Agency, Swindon. Guest Speaker. February 2005
- Towards Tomorrow, Centre for Performance Research Conference, Aberwystwyth University. April 2005
- Sound Moves. Roehampton University, November 2005
- Dancefilmday, English Heritage lecture Theatre, London. Film screened. December 2005
- Kinetic Fields, Jerwood Centre, London. April 2006
- Narrative. Non-narrative. Anti-narrative. University of the West of England
- The Critical Topography of Landscape. Bath Spa University. March 2007
- Cineformation. Watershed Media Centre, Bristol. March 2007
- Movement and the Single Screen. Picture This, Bristol. Jan 2008
- Congress on Research in Dance. De Montfort University June 2009
- Forward Motion. Rich Mix, London. Jan 2010
- ISTD/Bath Spa University Dance. Conference. July 2010
- Screendance Symposium. Brighton University. Feb 2011
- Leadership for the Future Programme.BSU Keynsham. May/June2012
- TaPra conference, University of Kent September 2012
- Tiffin Steadycam Operator Training. SAE Institute World Headquarters, Oxford. May 2015
- American Dance Festival, Symposium for Teaching of Screendance. Duke University, N. Carolina. July 2015.
- International Screendance Symposium, Valencia. September 2016.
- Dance Fields. University of Roehampton. April 2017.
- Lightmoves Festival of Screendance, LImerick. September 2018.