James Arthur Allen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School: Bath School of Art, Film and Media
- Campus: Locksbrook Campus
James is a lecturer on the BA (Hons) Photography and BA (Hons) Documentary Photography and Film degrees at Bath Spa University. While working at Bath Spa he also works on personal projects and commissions as a freelance photographer. He specialises in documentary, editorial and portrait photography.
His photography focuses on social issues from the geopolitics and conflicts of the South Caucasus to documenting the hinterlands around his home in Bath.
Selected publications and clients include: The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times Magazine, HUCK Magazine, The New Statesman, Inquire Magazine, The Daily Telegraph, Saturday Telegraph Magazine, Cicero, Libération, The Guardian, Guardian Weekend Magazine, The Rory Peck Trust, Loupe Magazine, Time Magazines Photojournalism Links and the British Journal of Photography.
In his career James has received several awards and nominations for his work, including winning The Rebecca Vassie Memorial Award in 2016, and being exhibited at nominated at the Kolga Tbilisi Photo Festival Jewood/Photoworks Award,and shortlisted for The Magnum Photos Top 30 under 30 Award and the RPS International Photography Exhibition 161.
He has exhibited in cities around the UK and abroad in solo and group exhibitions, and has also published writings and books.
James is also the link tutor to our partners boomsatsuma, based in Bristol.
- MA Documentary Photography - University of South Wales (2016-2018)
- BA (Hons) Press and Editorial Photography - University College Falmouth, Cornwall (2009– 2012).
- HEFAC, Hostile Environment First Aid Action Course, Blue Dot Safety 2010
- ESTCO - Embed Simulation Training Course, Blue Dot Safety 2010.
- Documentary Photography
- Ethics and Representation.