Dr Joanna Boehnert is a Senior Lecturer at Bath School of Design, working on two AHRC-funded projects and teaching in the Historical and Critical Studies programme.
From 2023–2026, she is working as an Innovation Scholar on the Transition Templates: Pathways to Netzero research with Livework, a service design consultancy in London. Her second research project is Enacting Gregory Bateson's Ecological Aesthetics in Architecture and Design on an AHRC-funded research project led by the University of Brighton and Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Joanna is also the author of the monograph Design, Ecology, Politics: Towards the Ecocene and her more recent work can be found on her blog and on Twitter.
- HEA Fellowship, Loughborough University
- HEA Associate Fellowship, University of Westminster
- PhD in Design, University of Brighton
- MA Graphic Design, London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
- BA Specialised Honours Fine Arts, University of Guelph
- Design Research Society (DRS) member
- DRS Sustainability Special Interest Group
- Systemic Design Association (founding member)
Areas of expertise
- Design for sustainability
- Feminist design ecologies
- Design studies and design contexts
- Responsible design education
- Design theory and design thinking
- Systemic design (theory and practice)
- Communication design
- Collaborative design
- Transdisciplinary design
- Design transitions
- Design futuring
I am actively seeking PhD students working in design for sustainability and other topics.