Shaun leads the Teaching Expertise Development team at Bath Spa University. This team facilitates professional learning for all staff who teach and support learning at Bath Spa, particularly in relation to pedagogy and curriculum design/enhancement.
He is an experienced academic/educational developer, having worked in several roles and institutions to support staff development in academic practice.
Immediately before joining Bath Spa, Shaun was Senior Lecturer in Academic Practice at the University of the West of England, and Programme Leader of their Academic Professional Programme – including Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Professional Practice, and Academic Professional Apprenticeship.
Shaun’s original academic background was in Classics and Ancient History, specialising in alcohol consumption in ancient Greco-Roman society. He taught at the Universities of Exeter and Bristol, and worked on research projects for Exeter, the IEHCA and Harvard.
- PhD Classics, University of Exeter
- MA Ancient History and Classical Culture, Swansea University
- Postgraduate Certificate of Academic Practice and Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, University of Exeter
- Certificate of Advanced Studies in Learning and Teaching in HE, University of Exeter
- BA (Hons) Ancient History, Swansea University
- Professional Development Course for External Examiners, Advance HE
- Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
- Institutional Contact for Bath Spa, Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA)
- Coordinator, South-West Educational Developers’ Forum (SWEDF)
Other external roles
- External Examiner at Sheffield Institute of Education, Sheffield Hallam University – Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice and Academic Professional Apprenticeship (Hallam Academic Award)
Areas of expertise
- Academic/educational development
- Professional learning in Higher Education
- Learning and teaching in Higher Education
- Curriculum design and enhancement