Stephanie joined Bath Spa University in February 2013 and is a Senior Lecturer in Conservation Biology (part-time). She has been teaching in Higher Education, on a part time basis, since 1993, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Stephanie specialises in Wildlife and Conservation Biology and Environmental Management. She has research interests in plant community ecology, protected species and habitat monitoring and conservation biology.
In her current role within the School of Sciences, Stephanie is module leader for Conservation Biology BIO4001 and Ecology and Biodiversity BIO5003, and contributes to teaching on the Biology, Conservation Biology and Environmental Science undergraduate degree programmes. She also contributes to the Masters programmes pathways in Environmental Humanities and Environmental Management.
In addition, Stephanie runs her own professional Ecological Consultancy Business (SGES), providing expertise in environmental management, ecological survey, habitat restoration and project management to a range of industry clients, mainly in the mineral extraction industry.
- BSc (Hons) Life Sciences (Biology), University of Westminster, Class 2.1
- PhD Heathland and Mire Ecology, University of Westminster
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology & Environmental Management (MCIEEM)
- Member of the Society for the Environment (Chartered Environmentalist CEnv)
- Member of the British Ecological Society
- Member of the Botanical Society of the British Isles
Other external roles
- Mentor for the British Ecological Society's Women in Ecology programme
Areas of expertise
- Conservation Biology
- Environmental Practice
- Environmental Humanities
Contact Stephanie about
- Work placements in ecology and related subject areas
- Working in professional ecological consultancy
- Dissertation and research proposals in conservation biology and ecology
Stephanie is interested in hearing from students wishing to pursue research in the following topics:
- Conservation Biology
- Environmental Management
- Ecological Survey & Monitoring
Stephanie has made the following media appearances:
- The Biodiversity of the Dorset & Somerset Coal Canal. Interview on Open Country, Radio 4. December 2012.
- Interview on dormice in Asham Wood, Somerset. BBC Radio Bristol. 1998.
- Greshon, S. & Emms, K. (2006). Wetland Plants – Sink or swim? In The Somerset Wetlands: An Ever Changing Environment. Somerset Books. pp.113-120.
- Greshon, S. (2004). The Plant Life of Ditches on the Levels. Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society, pp.177-182.
- Greshon, S. (2003) Reedbed and Fen Creation on Old Mineral Sites. Ecology and Environmental Management – In Practice No. 41. pp 6-7.
- Greshon, S. (1997) Vegetation Survey in “The Archaeological Investigation of a Prehistoric Landscape: Excavation of Arran 1978-1981. AOC Scotland Ltd. Scottish Trust for Archaeological Research 1997.
- Greshon, S. (1984) Palaeobotanical report in “Barber, J. & Brown, M.M. (1984) An Sithean, Islay. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. 114, 178-179.”
- Pick, A. and Greshon, S. (January 2017) Biodiversity & Restoration in Chipping Sodbury Quarry. Presentation to Yate & District Townswomen’s Guild.
- Wildlife Legislation and impacts on the Quarrying Industry. Presentation at Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, South West Region Symposium, Tiverton. 15th October 2004.
Conference and seminar papers
- Greshon, S. & Waite, S. (1992) The detection of long-term trends in mire vegetation. Mires Research Group Special Topics Symposium: Global Climatic Change, Carbon Balance and Peatlands. University of Nottingham.
- Greshon, S. & Waite, S. (1991) Spatial and temporal patterns in the chemical and physical characteristics of valley mire water bodies. Winter & Annual General Meeting of the British Ecological Society, Exeter University.
- REPORT OF MONITORING undertaken in accordance with condition 28 of planning permission 6/2015/0421 (superseded by planning permission 6/2017/0256): BINNEGAR QUARRY Integrated Management Plan. A Report for Raymond Brown Quarry Products Ltd. October 2019.
- CEMP/LEMP First Annual Review in accordance with conditions 5 & 6 of planning permission 16/09386/WCM, Brickworth Quarry. A Report for Raymond Brown Quarry Products Ltd. March 2019.
- Hines Pit, East Stoke, Wareham, Dorset: Review of Works Undertaken April 2016 – March 2018. Report for Hanson Aggregates. February 2018.
- Binnegar Quarry, Dorset: Report of Vegetation Condition Monitoring undertaken in accordance with condition 56 of planning consent for application 6/2013/0234, BINNEGAR QUARRY, “BLUE AREA”. A report for Raymond Brown Minerals & Recycling Ltd. October 2017.
- Binnegar Quarry, Wareham, Dorset: Ecological Impact Assessment: ADDENDUM. A report for Raymond Brown Minerals & Recycling Ltd. September 2017.
- Great Plantation, Wareham, Dorset: Preliminary Ecological Appraisal: ADDENDUM. Report for Hanson Aggregates. August 2017.
- Dulcote Quarry, Wells, Somerset: Ecological Impact Assessment to support detailed planning application for Phase 1 development of food processing factory. Report for TSL projects Ltd. May 2016.
- Annual Management Review and Aftercare Report for Hines Pit, Wareham, Dorset. Report for Hanson Aggregates. March 2016.
- Batts Coombe Quarry, Cheddar. Ecological Appraisal for Waste Tip. Report for Hanson Aggregates. February 2016.
- Proposed Access Routes, Coastal Strip Quarries, Isle of Portland, Dorset. Vegetation Survey. Report for Portland Stone Firms Ltd. November 2015.
- Perryfields Quarry, Portland, Dorset. Application for Mining Permission. Ecological Appraisal. Report for Portland Stone Firms Ltd. April 2015.
- Asham Wood: Woodland Management Plan: February 2015-Feb 2025. Report for Hanson Aggregates. November 2014.
- Chipping Sodbury Quarry: Habitat Management Plan Pursuant to ROMP Condition 46. 2015-2025. Report for Hanson Aggregates. November 2014.
- Ecological Appraisal for Gould’s Ground, Whiteball Sand Pit, Wellington, Somerset. Report for Hanson Aggregates. October 2013.
- Management Plan for Hyde Sand Pit, Wareham, Dorset, pursuant to Planning Condition 16. Report for Hanson Aggregates. October 2013.
- Preliminary Ecological Appraisal for land near Easton, Portland Dorset. Report for Stone Firms Ltd. September 2013.
- Hethfelton Plantation, Wareham, Dorset: Preliminary Ecological Appraisal. Hanson Aggregates. September 2013.
- Southfields Tip & Barnhill Quarry. Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey: Unpublished Report for CDF Estates Ltd. March 2012.
- Whatley Quarry, Frome, Somerset: Preliminary appraisal of buildings for potential bat roosts. October 2012. Hanson Aggregates.
- Mill Farm, Batcombe, Somerset. Biodiversity Survey. Private Client. February 2012.
- Coombefield Quarry, Portland. Extended Phase 1 Habitat and Scoping Survey: Cladding Consultants Ltd. November 2011.
- Chipping Sodbury Quarries, South Gloucestershire: Ecological Clerk of Works for hedgehog, reptile and bat mitigation for development of new quarry bund profile at Southfield Quarry. Jan-May 2013.
- Chipping Sodbury Quarries: Preparation of Biodiversity Action Plan. December 2010. Hanson Aggregates.
- Budd’s Firs,Mortimer, Berkshire. Reptile and ground-nesting bird mitigation for quarry extension, Hanson Aggregates, 2009-2010.
- Preparation of Annual Management and Monitoring Reports for 10 closed landfill sites in Oxfordshire. 2006-2009. Oxfordshire County Council and Egniol Consulting Ltd.
- Dulcote Quarry, Somerset: Ecological Impact Assessment for Dulcote Quarry. Contributor to Environmental Statement. Kilbride Group & Corylus Ltd. June-Sep-2008.
- Rickney’s Quarry, Hertfordshire. Ecological Impact Assessment for proposed Mineral Extraction. Contributor to Environmental Statement. February 2007. Hanson Aggregates.
- Hartham Park Mine, Corsham. Preliminary Ecological Appraisal of Hartham Park Mine, June 2006. Hanson Aggregates & SmithsGore.
- Taunton Electricity Substation: Hedgerow and protected species survey. National Grid UK. February 2006.
- Pawlett Hams Compensation Site, Somerset Levels: Aquatic Macrophyte Ditch Survey. Wyvern Waste Services/Southwest Ecological Surveys. September 2005.
- Transco Welsh Gas Pipeline, Northern Route: Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey: Cresswell Associates. August 2005.
- East Compton Farm, Somerset: Bat and Barn Owl Survey. Ambios Ltd. July 2005.
- Mortimer Quarry (eastern extension), Hampshire: Management Plan for restoration, creation and long term management of heathland. at Mortimer Quarry (eastern extension), Hanson Aggregates. April 2005.
- Bull’s Lodge, Essex: Mammal surveys and protected species assessment. Hanson Aggregates. March 2005.
- Bottomcombe Masonry Works, Portland, Dorset: Ecological Impact Assessment for yard Stone Firms Ltd. February 2005.
- North Hyde sub-station, Hayes, Greater London: Ecological Appraisal and protected species assessment for proposed expansion works. National Grid Transco. December 2004.
- Integrated Vegetation Management Trial. Stage 1. Report prepared for National Grid Transco. September 2004.
- Rickneys Quarry, Hertfordshire: Ecological Impact Assessment for proposed extension. Hanson Aggregates, July 2004.
- Masters Pit Complex, Wareham, Dorset: Nature Conservation Management Plan. January 2004 – December 2013. Hanson Aggregates. March 2004.
- Ridgewood Centre, Camberley: Botanical Survey. Michael Woods & Associates, Wildlife Consultants. January 1997.
- Ilton, South Somerset: Ecological Survey. Stephen Crute Associates. August 1996.
- Collingwood Farm, Lightwater, Surrey: Botanical Survey and Ecological Appraisal. Michael Woods & Associates, Wildlife Consultants. September 1996.
- Local Agenda 21 Action Plan. Work & the Environment: Stage 2. Mendip District Council, Somerset. December 1995.
- Burtle Road, Westhay, Somerset: Preliminary Ecological Appraisal for Proposed Peat Extraction. Private Client. September 1995.
- Birmingham Northern Relief Road: Phase 1 Habitat Survey. Cresswell Associates. June 1995.
- Bomore Pool, Shropshire – Proposed Chalet: Assessment of Ecological Impact on Aquatic Macrophytes and Aquatic Invertebrates. Ecoscope Applied Ecologists. January 1995.
- Blackdown Hills, Somerset: Biological Survey (Vegetation). National Trust. August 1994.
- Dartmouth Sewage Treatment Works: Botanical Survey. Wimpey Environmental/Southwest Ecological Surveys. June 1993.
- Coombefield Quarry, Portland: Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment for quarry re-development. Cladding Consultants Ltd. October 2012.
- Chipping Sodbury Quarries, South Gloucestershire: Ecological Project Management for Great Crested Newt Surveys and EPS mitigation Licence. Hanson Aggregates. April 2013-present.
- Chipping Sodbury Quarries, South Gloucestershire: Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment including Phase 1 and 2 surveys for bats, dormice, great crested newts, reptiles, birds, invertebrates and flora for a Review of Mineral Planning Permission (ROMP), Hanson Aggregates/WYG 2010-2011.
- Spratley Woods, Gallows Hill, Dorset: Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment for proposed new quarry plant site. Hanson Aggregates/Scott Wilson. April 2011.
- Hines Pit, Wareham, Dorset: Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment and Environmental Statement. Hanson Aggregates/SLR Planning Consultants Ltd. 2008.
- Hines Pit, Wareham, Dorset: Ecological Clerk of Works for EPS reptile mitigation and site management planning. Hanson Aggregates. 2012-present.
- Masters Quarry Complex, Wareham, Dorset: Ecological Project Manager for a Review of Mineral Planning (ROMP). Hanson Aggregates/Holme Sand & Gravel/SLR Planning Consultants Ltd. April 2008-2010.
- Egham, Surrey: Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment and contributor to Environmental Statement for proposed mineral development at Egham, Surrey. Additional provision of information for Regulation 22 submission. Hanson Aggregates & SLR Planning Consultants . 2009-2013.
- Whiteball (Town Farm), Somerset. Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment for mineral extraction at Whiteball (Town Farm). Contributor to Environmental Statement. June-December 2008. Hanson Aggregates & Scott Wilson.
- Wrotham Quarry, Kent. Ecological Project Manager for Ecological Impact Assessment for northern extension. Contributor to Environmental Statement and author of the Management & Monitoring Plan re Section 106. Hanson Aggregates and SLR Planning Consultants Ltd. October 2008.