Steve has devoted much of his career to Higher Education.
He was Deputy CEO at the Higher Education Funding Council for England providing HE policy advice to government. He was responsible for funding and regulation and had specific responsibility for Sustainable Development and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. He served for 5 years as Vice President at the University of Bath responsible for HR, IT and Digital, Estates, Sports and student Art facilities. He led a successful project to develop a £70m engineering research centre.
During his career Steve has been a Board member of the National Centre for Social research, Deputy Chair of the OECD Higher Education program, Governor of St Brendan’s sixth form college, Director of the Universities Superannuation fund and Director of the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS). Currently Steve holds a number of part time positions including assurance advisor to the Arts and Humanities Research Council and honorary professor at the University of Bath. He teaches postgraduate students in Higher Education management and policy. He has delivered guest lectures on HE policy, management and governance subjects at other universities in Britain and abroad.
- BSc Banking and Finance
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Steve was awarded a CBE for services to Higher Education in 2014
- Honorary Professor, University of Bath
Interests and areas of expertise
- HE policy and strategy
- Organisational development and innovation
- Leadership and governance of major projects
- Risk and opportunity
- Steve is an American football referee and enjoys studying Spanish in his spare time
- Finance and Infrastructure