Bath Spa Placements Award
The Bath Spa Placements Award, launched in 2017, was established to support students who wish to improve their employability by completing work experience or by attending networking events, insight days or conferences. The maximum amount we can award is £300 per student per academic year and the Placements Award is only available to students until the funds are exhausted.
The funds available from the award can be used towards accommodation, travel, workwear or sustenance (we can award £5 a day for lunch and £10 for an evening meal if your placement requires you to stay overnight). When you apply, please provide adequate receipts or screenshots of relevant expenses within your application. If you are claiming for petrol costs, please use a mileage calculator. The funds cannot be used towards rent that you currently pay, only towards additional accommodation that you require due to your placement or event that you are attending.
The Placements Award is funded through the University’s Access Agreement with the Office for Fair Access, and is designed to help students with the costs of undertaking a placement or attending an event that will have a direct impact on their studies or employability.
You are able to apply during your undergraduate studies, but can apply once per academic year. Retrospective applications will not be considered
I wanted to be involved with Cirque Bijou to gain a better understanding about facilitating community circus arts to a variety of people. Without the funding I wouldn’t have been able to commute to Frome/Somerset and meet the circus company creative director and be part of production planning meetings. This was a really great experience and I was able to apply what I had learnt to my own dissertation project about circus arts and supporting wellbeing.Phoebe, 3rd Year History: Heritage and Public History, Work experience at Cirque Bijou in Cardiff (2020)
This Award is open to any UK home student currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course who has either:
- Been assessed by Student Finance as being from a household with an annual income of below £42,875
or meets the following criteria:
- Comes from a home postcode area with low participation in higher education
- Is attending University while living at home
- Was in receipt of free school meals at secondary school
- Has parents who did not attend university
- Is a care leaver
- Is a young adult carer
- Has disclosed a disability to Bath Spa University
- Has been categorised by the Student Loan Company as estranged from their parents.
Students need to have applied for Student Finance for the academic year in which the mobility is to take place.
When making your application to Student Finance, give consent for your household income details to be shared with Bath Spa University. Your household income figure will then be automatically sent to the University and used to assess your eligibility for the award.
If you're unsure if you meet any of these criteria, please Submit a Query via MyCareer.
I'm so glad to be doing a placement year as part of my degree. So far I have gained so much experience and it has helped me to understand what I would like to do in the future. Being awarded the placement award has really helped and has definitely made me feel at ease financially.Anisha - Professional Placement Year: Psychology, Work experience at King College Hospital in London (2020)
How to apply
Applications are made via the AppHub. Follow the link, then click 'Scholarship Applications'. Next, click 'Add Application' and select 'Placements Award'.
How applications are judged
Placement Award allocations will be decided by the Bath Spa University disbursement panel, which will consist of representatives from the Careers and Employability team. The panel will meet every three weeks to discuss applications received.
You can expect to hear a decision or receive feedback on your application up to five working days after the panel has met.
The Bath Spa University disbursement panel endeavour to meet regularly to discuss requests. You can expect to hear a decision or receive feedback on your application up to five working days after the panel has met. If the award is granted, the funds will be transferred to your account within 1-2 weeks.
Terms and conditions
Successful recipients will be subject to the following conditions:
- Awards must be used for the purpose stated on your application form.
- If, by reason of any emergency or other circumstance, the Award holder is unable to complete the work placement, he or she will be required to refund all or part of the Award as may be considered reasonable.
- Recipients will be expected to complete the feedback form that will be emailed once the placement/event has been completed. Comments may be used on the University website or in other promotional material.
- If a receipt cannot be submitted before the placement/event begins, it must be submitted within ten working days of completing the placement/event otherwise the Award holder may be required to refund all or part of the Award.