Bath Spa Placements Award
The Bath Spa Placements Award, launched in 2017, was established to support students who wish to improve their employability.
The funds available from the award can be used towards accommodation, travel, workwear or sustenance in association with an arranged, unpaid/low paid placement.
Alternatively, this could also be used by students to attend networking events, insight days and conferences.
To be eligible for this award, students must meet the required criteria.
- Value - up to £300 per person
- Number of awards available - multiple
Please note that the Placements Award is only available to students until the funds are exhausted.
The Placements Award is funded through the University’s Access Agreement with the Office for Fair Access, and is designed to help students with the costs of undertaking a placement or attending an event that will have a direct impact on their studies or employability.
You must make use of this funding prior to 31 May in the final year of your undergraduate studies, and can apply once per academic year. Retrospective applications will not be considered.
Please note that in order to receive the funds, you will need to provide adequate receipts or screenshots of relevant expenses within your application.
This Award is open to any UK home student currently enrolled on an undergraduate degree course who has either:
- Been assessed by Student Finance as being from a household with an annual income of below £42,875
or meets the following criteria:
- Comes from a home postcode area with low participation in higher education
- Is attending University while living at home
- Was in receipt of free school meals at secondary school
- Has parents who did not attend university
- Is a care leaver
- Is a young adult carer
- Has disclosed a disability to Bath Spa University
- Has been categorised by the Student Loan Company as estranged from their parents.
Students need to have applied for Student Finance for the academic year in which the mobility is to take place.
When making your application to Student Finance, give consent for your household income details to be shared with Bath Spa University. Your household income figure will then be automatically sent to the University and used to assess your eligibility for the award.
If you're unsure if you meet any of these criteria, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Applications are made via the AppHub. Follow the link, then click 'Scholarship Applications'. Next, click 'Add Application' and select 'Placements Award'.
Applications are now open for this academic year (2021-2022). We'll be regularly reviewing our budget so the deadline of the 31 May 2021 may be brought forward.
How applications are judged
Placement Award allocations will be decided by the Bath Spa University disbursement panel, which will consist of representatives from the Careers and Employability team. The panel will meet every three weeks to discuss applications received.
You can expect to hear a decision or receive feedback on your application up to five working days after the panel has met. The meetings will take place on:
- Monday 14 September
- Monday 5 October
- Monday 26 October
- Monday 16 November
- Monday 7 December
- Monday 4 January
- Monday 25 January
- Monday 15 February
- Monday 8 March
- Monday 29 March
- Monday 19 April
- Monday 10 May
- Monday 31 May
Terms and conditions
Successful recipients will be subject to the following conditions:
- Awards must be used for the purpose stated on your application form.
- If, by reason of any emergency or other circumstance, the Award holder is unable to complete the work placement, he or she will be required to refund all or part of the Award as may be considered reasonable.
- Recipients will be expected to provide appropriate feedback and these comments may be used on the University website or in other promotional material.
- Students must submit receipts within ten working days of completing the placement.
- Students may be asked to help promote the award to other members of the student body through stands and events.