11th International Congress on Migration and Mental Health
Saturday 30 October, 2021 – Sunday 31 October, 2021
– 5:30 PM
Please note, this conference is now online only.
La Red Athena, in collaboration with Bath Spa University is launching the 10th International Congress on Migration and Mental Health.
Please note: This year's congress will now take place online only. See the programme below for full details and links to join the sessions.
This year’s congress theme is "Building community resilience during the Covid-19 pandemic".
Due to health and social inequalities, migrants’ health and mental health has been disproportionately impacted during the Covid-19 pandemic. Migrant communities have been in fact particularly affected by high infection rates, isolation, discrimination, losing employment, or being underemployed in jobs which is difficult to maintain social distancing.
Furthermore, forced migrants have been unable to move during the pandemic and they have been held in detention centres in precarious conditions, with little access to external supporting agencies.
It is therefore imperative to develop interventions that can strengthen migrants’ mental health and can help them in building their individual and community resilience.
The topics to be discussed at the conference are:
- Stress factors affecting migrants’ mental health
- Therapeutic interventions to support migrants’ mental health
- Community interventions to support migrants’ community resilience
- Migrants’ social and health inequalities.
Due to Covid-19, this year’s congress will be taking place online with all presentations available to stream live during both days.
This format is designed to consider online presenters from different time zones, and there will be some virtual interactive sections during both conference days.
Contact the Conference Committee
- Joseba Achotegui, Professor in Psychotherapy, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Agata Vitale, Senior Lecturer in Clinical Psychology, Bath Spa University, UK
- Rebecca McGuire-Snieckus, Head of the School of Sciences, Bath Spa University, UK
- Nancy Liscano, Voces amiga de Esperanza (VOADES UK), London, UK
General contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org