SEMPRE Autumn Conference 2019Friday 8 November, 2019 – Friday 8 November, 2019
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Newton Park Campus, Bath Spa University
About the conference
Expression, communication and learning
Music performance provides an opportunity for performers to communicate and express musical ideas, emotions and even their identity. Performers communicate to their audience and other performers in the group through gestures and through breathing as well as in the performance itself.
This one-day conference is designed to bring together recent knowledge on music performance studies with a focus on expression, communication, and learning in music performance. It asks:
- What is expressive performance, and how do we know when a performance is expressive?
- Is expressiveness a prerequisite for any performance that moves the listener?
- How do performers learn to master the skills of communication and expression, and how can it be taught?
Who's the conference for?
The SEMPRE Autumn Conferebce is open to the public and has been designed with students and researchers in music in mind.
Submit an abstract
SEMPRE conference award
The aim of this award is to cover the conference fee and travel costs of students (both full-time and part-time) and/or unwaged researchers so that they can attend the conference and present their work. If you'd like to be considered for the award, please download the application form and submit it to Dr Yuko Arthurs via firstname.lastname@example.org by Saturday 31 August.
- Deadline for abstract and application for SEMPRE conference award: Saturday 31 August 2019
- Notification: Friday 6 September 2019
- Early bird registration: until Friday 4 October 2019
- Registration deadline: Thursday 31 October 2019
- £40. Students: £30
From 5 October
- £45. Students: £35