We are an interdisciplinary collaborative research centre with a broad range of colleagues whose research aims to transform learning and lives
The Centre for Research into Equity, Inclusion and Community (CREIC) interrogates the conditions that lead to marginalisation and exclusion from education, and our research aims to develop theories and practices of inclusion, equity and social justice. Our work focuses on issues such as disability, race, gender and sexuality, as well as looked-after children and children who have experienced trauma. Our members draw from a variety of disciplines such as sociology, anthropology and philosophy, and we utilise a broad array of methodologies in our research. We often conduct research in partnership with local communities and our work has significant impact on the lives of disadvantaged individuals and groups.
Recent research projects
- 2019-2020 Mel Macer, Stuart Read and Anne Parfitt - Effective use of Pupil Premium to improve educational outcomes for looked after children. Funded by National Association of Virtual School Heads (NAVASH).
- 2019-2020 The time is now: Addressing missed opportunities for SEN provision and coordination in our schools. Bath Spa in conjunction with nasen.
- 2019 Charlotte Chadderton - Research consultancy for Tower Hamlets Council, Work Path, Careers Education for years 7-9.
- 2016- 2019 Ghazala Bhatti - The EDIC Project (Education for Democratic Intercultural Citizenship) involving post graduates and academics from seven European universities.
- 2014-2019 Charlotte Chadderton - A longitudinal study of young women’s transitions in Tower Hamlets in an age of austerity, Aldgate and Allhallows Foundation, London.
- 2018 Tilly Mortimore - Exploring the use of a scanning pen for multilingual KS4 students with literacy issues. Funded by ScanningPens.
- 2018 Helen Curran - National SENCO Workload Survey, January, Bath Spa in conjunction with nasen. Funded by The National Education Union.
- Ben Simmons (Co-leader)
- Ghazala Bhatti (Co-leader)
- Stuart ReadStuart Read
- Róisín Ní Mhocháin
- Tilly Mortimore
- Catherine Simon
- Emma Arblaster
- Melanie Macer
- Richard Parker
- Charlotte Chadderton
- Beth Mitchell
- Anne Parfitt
- Helen Curran
- Martin Levinson
- William Akerman
- Laura Green
- Stephanie Harvey (PhD Student)
- Libby Ford (PhD Student)