The first year of this course introduces you to the exciting world of Geography at university. You’ll acquire foundational geographical knowledge, understanding and skills. You’ll get a taste of a variety of geographies, and there are plenty of opportunities to do fieldwork, visiting local places such as Mendip and the Somerset Levels.
Topics you’ll study include:
- Examining and debating contemporary geographical issues
- Developing practical skills such as computer mapping
- Learning about the variety of physical landscapes
- Learning about physical processes and landforms in order to understand how environments form and function
- Learning how to use the technologies, methods, techniques and equipment that geographers need to use.
This year you continue to explore physical geography. Greater emphasis is placed on research methods; you will learn a wide range of useful geographical methods and techniques, both in the classroom and in fieldwork settings where you’ll apply your growing mastery of your subject to real-world problems and issues.
Optional topics include:
- Environmental hazards
- River systems and their management
- Climate change
- Using exciting new geotechnologies
- Field trip to India.
You’ll also start to further explore career options and planning, with opportunities to do a work placement or volunteering overseas. We also give you the chance to engage with the Royal Geographical Society and other professional bodies.
This year you’ll further specialise in physical geography. You will develop your skills as an independent scholar by undertaking primary research that will enable you to demonstrate the theoretical and practical aspects of your geographical interests.
- Coastal management
- Development and disasters
- Other science-related topics.
There is also a field trip to the Lake District to discover more about the geological and Ice Age story of the landscape and the dramatic impacts of the mining history and recent floods on the landscape. There is also the opportunity to undertake a community placement and project as part of your studies.